How to find jobs using shared container?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bikramg
Participant

How to find jobs using shared container?

Post by bikramg »

Hi,

We are using a shared container in our project, which is used by several jobs and one of the feed to the container is a constant value (per job).

Is there a mechanism (using DS job) to find the jobs using the particular container and the value passed by the jobs?

My thoughts were with querying the UNIVERSE tables but due to lack of IBM documentation - couldn't get much further than a couple of fields on DS_JOBS & DS_JOBOBJECTS.

Any help would be hugely appreciable.

Thanks,
Bikram
vamsi.4a6
Participant

Post by vamsi.4a6 »

1)Select the container from repository and right click select find where used

2)if u want to find the list of the job names and folder where a particular stage or object is used follow this link

http://datastage-vamsi.blogspot.in/2012 ... s-and.html
bikramg
Participant

Post by bikramg »

Thanks for your reply. I was not after this answer; I know this way of finidng it. As I have mentioned in my post above - is there a mechanism to find this information using DS JOB e.g. a job is ran and the output of that is what should contain the information I'm looking for.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Job names are stored in DS_JOBS.

Job design time configuration is stored in DS_JOBOBJECTS.

Job run time configuration is stored in RT_CONFIGnnn where nnn is the job number from DS_JOBS.

Job and stage run time information is stored in RT_STATUSnnn.

Job log information is stored in RT_LOGnnn if local logging is selected.

What, precisely, is the information you seek? That is, what do you mean by "the value passed" by a job?
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bikramg
Participant

Post by bikramg »

Thanks Ray!

The output I want is the name of the jobs using the particular container , the name of linki it is attached to and the value(s) passed to the container e.g. if has three inputs A,B, C to it then would like to know what is fed into B.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need to identify (by OLETYPE) the Shared Container (view) records in DS_JOBOBJECTS. In those records the input link and output link references can be found, and you can self-join using the OBJIDNO column. To get the job name join to DS_JOBS based on DS_JOBS.JOBNO = DS_JOBOBJECTS.OBJIDNO.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bikramg
Participant

Post by bikramg »

Thanks for this. Ok - may be this is a dumb question now. Is is possbile to find out what column / attributes belong to this structures as I don't this structures at all. Thanks!
bikramg
Participant

Post by bikramg »

Sorry meant don't know the structures at all!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Alas the structures of these tables are only partially documented. A few of us have hacked some of the structure, but definitely not completely. Do you have a colleague with UniVerse (or, at a pinch, UniData) experience? They will stand a better chance of hacking the structures. There's a lot of UV and UD in New Zealand.
bikramg
Participant

Post by bikramg »

Alas! All these experience are floating around elsewhere in the country not in our site!

We started DS development last year only, so all are pretty new. Btw are you able to point me to those partial documentation / some of your discoveries -need to give it a crack. Will be real help. Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

For partial documentation, in a dssh environment:

Code: Select all

LIST DICT DS_JOBS
LIST DICT DS_JOBOBJECTS
For discoveries, rummage around the results of a search here for DS_JOBOBJECTS.
bikramg
Participant

Post by bikramg »

Thanks Ray!

I have now managed to pull most of the details I wanted from DS_OBJECTS alone. I can identify the link name etc. But unsure as to where to find the value fed into the particular link!

I tried the RT structures but couldn't run them in the UV stage and the LIST DICT doesn't show any other columns than the @ID.

Any idea!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's all that's defined for the RT_... tables. :(
bikramg
Participant

Post by bikramg »

Pain! So, is there no way to read the content of this RT structures other than that @ID field. I guess they contain whole bunch of other runtime information.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Further, there are records with different formats.

You can nominate the first ten fields as F1, F2, ..., F10.
Beyond that you need to have a bit more knowledge if the structure.
You can view entire records using the LIST.ITEM command, but this shows only the data in populated fields - you don't get any metadata.

That's where a UniVerse person with knowledge of the UniVerse line editors ED or AE can help somewhat.