Emailing error/failure reports

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

badger
Premium Member
Premium Member

Emailing error/failure reports

Post by badger »

Hello all...

I have an example test set as follows:

1. mulitple parallel jobs that might fail for all the usual reasons.
2. mulitple sequences that wrap up various groups of functionality by running jobs.
3. a single top-level sequence that runs all the sequences in step #2.

If there is a failure anywhere in the run, I'd like to send out a report with as much detail as possible via email. I don't see any way to roll the error detail information up the chain to email out. All I get is something like the following from the top-level sequence:

Code: Select all

STATUS REPORT FOR JOB: testseq
Generated: 2012-10-29 15:23:45
   Job start time=2012-10-29 15:23:38
   Job end time=2012-10-29 15:23:45
   Job elapsed time=00:00:07
   Job status=3 (Aborted)
   Job has no stages.
Note that the jobs are all set to "Automatically handle activities that fail" And there are no Exception handlers in any jobs/seqences except for the top level sequence. (maybe this is not correct?)

Thanks for any advice.

--Ivan
--Ivan
AT&T Mobility
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have the sequences also generate a warning for any activity that finished with a status other than Success. This will cause the top level sequence to be notified (through the exit status mechanism) of any problem. You then create a routine to identify the components of the top level sequence that have warnings, to drill down into those components' logs and ascertain from those jobs' logs the cause of the problem.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
badger
Premium Member
Premium Member

Log Warnings?

Post by badger »

Are you referring to the "Log warnings after activities that finish with status other than OK" option? I do have that checked on all sequences.....doesn't seem to do anything.

Do I need to do something specific for each job that the sequence runs?
--Ivan
AT&T Mobility
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Verify that you have it checked. If it is, then any warning or error will flag a warning in the controlling sequence. This can be detected on completion of the controlling sequence (its status can not be Finished if there is a warning).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.