Routine activity failure

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sumesh.abraham
Participant

Routine activity failure

Post by sumesh.abraham »

I have a requirement to send notification if the record counts in target table is different from the source table, after the load is completed. I am accomplishing this using a server routine. I am returning 0 if counts match and -1 if counts do not match. In the routine activity in sequence job, I am using trigger as return value = -1 to call the notification activity. I noticed that whenever the returned value is -1, sequencer gets aborted.

When I disabled "Automatically handle activities that fail", I do not see this behavior. Is this the right approach to solve the issue or is this approach could possibly cause issues with other actvity execution in the sequencer? Appreciate your help!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, that will affect all activities. Check the help for that "automatically handle" option as it explains how to override its check and handle that particular one yourself.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The other way to disable a failure - and any non-zero return from a Routine activity counts as a failure - from invoking the Exception Handler is to have an explicit Failure trigger from the Routine activity.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Which is what the help would tell them. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
aravindunni31
Participant

Re: Routine activity failure

Post by aravindunni31 »

Instead of returning the value as -1, try getting as a different value. Like If Count matches, it should return EQUAL. Else NOTEQUAL. Try this
Regards,
Aravind V A