IIS 8.7 installation help

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

prasson_ibm
Premium Member
Premium Member

IIS 8.7 installation help

Post by prasson_ibm »

Hi,

I need to give POC to customer for that i need to install IIS 8.7 on AIX 6.1.

For POC i got Intel Core i3 processor with 500 GB hard disk and 8GB of RAM,i just need some information:-

Can we install AIX6.1 64 bit OS in this system,because as per installation document, AIX 6.1 requires RISC power5 processor.

Thanks
Prasoon
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

No, this is not possible. There is no possibility to run AIX 6.1 in a virtual-machine environment on Intel hardware.

You can't install AIX 6.1 on Intel hardware, either.

To run DataStage on Intel You will have to use Windows or - preferably - a current Linux Server-OS based on a Red-Hat Distribution.
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon
prasson_ibm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by prasson_ibm »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
So in case i install Linux Sever,will it support IIS7.5 64 bit installation.
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

To avoid some misunderstandings:
1) DataStage 7.5.x was never branded IIS. IBM Information Server is a term that first came up for version 8.0.

2) I do not think there ever was a 64 bit version of DataStage 7.5. Up to version 8 DataStage was pure 32 bit software. Check this:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forum ... D=14001160
3) Check with the system requirements for DataStage 7.5.x which version of Linux you will need. Higher versions of the OS are usually downward compatible with older versions of DataStage, but you can't absolutely rely on it. DataStage 7.5 is quite an old piece of software ...
4) Thought you wanted to install IIS 8.7 ???
prasson_ibm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by prasson_ibm »

Hi,

I misspelled,its IIS8.7...sorry for that.

Can you help with this.

Thanks
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

The installation-process for IBM Information Server 8.7 is well documented. Start here:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... stall.html

Make sure you install a supported OS-version, otherwise you'll land yourself in a lot of trouble.

As you do a clean install, most likely including DB2 for the Metadata-Repository and a new instance of WebSphere Application Server, you should not run into problems. You will have to install some documented packages under Linux before installing IIS 8.7. The prerequisite-checker will point you to those in case you miss them.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

For a proof of technology you will need one 64 bit Linux environment that is compatible with Information Server 8.7 and one Windows environment for running the IIS client tools. You will need permission from IBM to use the IIS software in this way, usually the customer signs a PoC agreement with IBM to use the software for a period of time and then confirms that the environment is removed at the end of that period. Your local IBM presales team may even be able to share with you a pre-built Proof of Technology environment complete with Information Server assets such as DataStage jobs, profiling results, FastTrack mappings and a Business Glossary.

Are you doing a PoC of just DataStage? Are you also showing them Metadata Workbench, QualityStage, the Information Analyzer DQ rules stage, the Operations Console, Services Director etc.

There are some key PoC decisions to be made:
- DataStage and/or QualityStage? If this is a Data Warehouse scenario I would lean towards DataStage but for most other scenarios (such as data migrations) I would lean towards QualityStage.
- Data Quality Firewall? The new DQ rules stage is very effective at managing and binding re-usable DQ rules.
- Metadata Management - do they want data lineage and impact analysis reporting?
- Data Quality assessment - do they want a profiling tool that loads mappings to a mapping tool that generates DataStage jobs? This would lead them to the Discovery-FastTrack-DataStage combination.
- Batch or real time or SOA? DataStage on it's own is usually used as an overnight batch tool with some intraday loads. For 24x7 processing they should consider Infosphere CDC with the DataStage plugin. For always on run on demand they should consider Services Directory and SOA jobs.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Let me revise my earlier answer - you are not the right person to do this - you do not have the training or experience to set up an Information Server PoC environment and you have not been given enough instructions on what is required. It takes 1-3 days for an expert to set up a PoC environment, it takes 1-4 WEEKS for a newbie to do it and the odds are it will not work. You should go back to your boss and tell them that they need to appoint someone who has previous experience installing Information Server. You are walking into a disaster.
prasson_ibm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by prasson_ibm »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We are not giving POC for datastge installation rather giving for jobs development,like how much time its talking to process data and so.

For that we need to setup IIS8.7 on linux SanOs server(with simple client-server topology).
So on installation part, do we need to install ISA Lite to check the prerequisits and system requirment before we start IIS8.7 installation on Linux or will it automaticaaly installed with the software

Please suggest.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The installer does a good prerequisite check before it starts installing and the release notes list the libraries needed.
prasson_ibm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by prasson_ibm »

Hi Everyone,

We installed linux and installed the required packages for IIS8.7.

Now as i can see in manual for detailed system requirement,for database (DB2 Enterprise Server Edition 9.5 9.7) and WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment 7.0 8.0 ,some fix packs are required to make IIS8.7 compatible with Linux.

Do we need to install these fix packs before fresh installation of IIS8.7
rosecity
Participant

Post by rosecity »

The required version of DB2 and WAS will be installed if you plan on installing them with the IIS installation software.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You DO need to install the specified packages (RPMs) on Linux before installing Information Server. You should also install a supported C++ compiler if your Linux installation does not have one, before installing Information Server.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
prasson_ibm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by prasson_ibm »

Hi,

We have installed all the required RPMs,changed kernal parameters,and also installed required C++ compiler.

As we have created linux box as server and made connection with the clinet(Window7).Ftp is working fine with the server and client.We are able to connect to Linux server from clinet with putty also.

We started installation from client machine throught putty.We initiated GUI based installation,but when we are pasting given URL on web browser(Firefox),it says message "page can not be displayed".

When we paste the same URL on server web browser,with localhost,GUI is displayed.

Can anyone has idea what we are missing or how we can resolve this problem.

Thanks
Prasoon
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

can you ping the server from the client machine?
Could you have firewalls/proxy in place between the two machine?
can you do a "telnet server:8080"? (or is it 9080, I forget the port number and don't have access to datastage now)