how to delete a parameter from a sequence stage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jacksamsula
Premium Member
Premium Member

how to delete a parameter from a sequence stage

Post by jacksamsula »

How can I completely delete a parameter from a sequence stage. There is a button to clear the parameter value but there seems to be no way to delete the entry in the left hand column. The result is that it continues to pass a null parameter to its job which overrides any value for that parameter name set in the job itself.
Jack McCarty
American University
Washington DC
jack@American.edu
386-871-4318
ankursaxena.2003
Participant

Post by ankursaxena.2003 »

I don't think that you can delete a Parameter in Sequence, which you are going to use in one of the jobs.

But, lets say that you have defaulted the value of a Parameter(Param1) in Job1 to "A", then you can default the Parameter(Param1) to "A" at Sequence level.
Hence, you don't have to worry about the sending NULL value.
jacksamsula
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jacksamsula »

Thank you Saxena,

The reason I wish to delete the parameter is that I now am using an environment variable in the job which is being executed by the stage, so any default value, null or otherwise, overrides the environment variable. OR did I misunderstand your solution?
Jack McCarty
American University
Washington DC
jack@American.edu
386-871-4318
jacksamsula
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jacksamsula »

Ankur, I think that I have misunderstood my own problem - please don't bother trying to answere my last response until I get my problem more clearly defined. Thank you very much for your initial response. Jack
Jack McCarty
American University
Washington DC
jack@American.edu
386-871-4318
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The list of parameter names in a job activity is populated from the job referred to. The only way you can delete the parameter is to delete it in the job itself. A job activity can only pass an entire set of parameters to a job.

You could use dsjob in an Execute Command activity if you want to pass only a subset of parameters (possibly followed by dsjob to post a log entry).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jacksamsula
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jacksamsula »

OF COURSE ! A Senior Moment. Thanks very much Ray
Jack McCarty
American University
Washington DC
jack@American.edu
386-871-4318
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm curious about something. While you are presented with all job parameters for the attached job in the Job Activity stage, you are not required to pass values to all of them. And when you do not pass a value, it should use the parameter's default / design time value.

Are you saying that's not the case if the default is an environment variable?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As far as I know, the behaviour of a job activity is always to replace. If the value in the job activity is empty, then "" will be supplied to the job. This may prove to be invalid (for example for an Integer parameter type).

That's why the Job activity has "Set to Default" and "Set All to Default" buttons. These defaults are picked up from the job design.

When you do not pass a value from dsjob command, things are as you describe, irrespective of whether or not the parameter is an environment variable or not. The default value is used.

The difference with environment variable parameters is that you can use one of the special tokens ($PROJDEF, $ENV or $UNSET) when defining its default value.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Fully agree on the behaviour of dsjob and understand the special tokens as well. Perhaps I'm thinking of the 7.x version of the Job Activity stage as I've yet to see the 8.x one and I don't recall any "Set to Default" properties back in the day. What I remember is you simply left them empty to signify you wanted to use the default. Of course, it has been a hellova long time so my memory could be faulty. Wouldn't be the first time. [shrug]

I defer to the Master. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers