Datastage Connectivity to multiple servers

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

qutesanju
Participant

Datastage Connectivity to multiple servers

Post by qutesanju »

I have one datastage servers having ip1 XXX:XXX:XXX:XXX
which has multiple projects such as DEV,QA,REG,PROD etc

now my company is replicating same environment on second server having Ip2

Everytime I have to add entry in host file for new server.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file
# For example:
102.54.94.97 rhino1 # DS server1
38.25.63.10 rhino2 # DS server2

i know in unix or from cmd prompt i can give ping rhino1,rhino2 ,which will give me DS server1 or DS server2 ip.

but when i m getting connected through datastage designer or datastage director how do i know that that i m getting connectd to DS server1 or DS server2?
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

You will be logging in to a different domain the project name will also be associated with a different hostname.
npsandeep
Participant

Post by npsandeep »

you will be having a different domain name of ip2 and project name & credentials remain the same.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

When you login, enter the host name rather than the IP address, then you know. Also check the title bar of your client any time to verify which host.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
qutesanju
Participant

Post by qutesanju »

Here problem is

two servers has same host name
102.54.94.97 rhino1 # DS server
38.25.63.10 rhino2 # DS server

can i modify host name in just host file ,but in DS metadata if i will change host name ,i may not read data
qutesanju
Participant

Post by qutesanju »

What if I want to connect to both servers at the same time?
npsandeep
Participant

Post by npsandeep »

I dont see any reason, how in the datastage admin world, the different ips have got same host names. Host naming should be intuitive, I mean it should easy to login.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The way I read your entries is that rhino1 and rhino2 are two different hostnames. You could connect by entering actual IP addresses in place of host name on the login. If you do that then you can be connected to both servers in two clients at once.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

qutesanju wrote:Here problem is

two servers has same host name
102.54.94.97 rhino1 # DS server
38.25.63.10 rhino2 # DS server
Color me confused, nothing here shows as having the same or duplicate host names. As noted, one is named "rhino1" and the other "rhino2". Everything after the hash sign is a comment, by the way...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qutesanju
Participant

Post by qutesanju »

qt_ky wrote:The way I read your entries is that rhino1 and rhino2 are two different hostnames. You could connect by entering actual IP addresses in place of host name on the login. If you do that then you can be connected to both servers in two clients at once.
I tried by entring IP address,and it gives me error information

No Datastage credentials were found on the domain for the user(vqx8926) and datastage server ('102.54.94.97')

here hostname is same for ip(s)
102.54.94.97 rhino # DS server
38.25.63.10 rhino # DS server
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Engine credentials are a totally separate issue. You have not configured credentials in the services tier for the DataStage engine in question, at least not for that particular user.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

When connecting through Designer or Director, you provide the hostname (or sometimes the IP address) of the Services Tier (WebSphere Application Server) for the Information Server environment you're connecting to. DataStage projects within that environment are chosen by DataStage Engine Tier (hostname) and Project name. That is how you know which server you're connecting to.

If you have multiple IP addresses in your hosts file associated to the same name, more than likely the first listed will be chosen to resolve the hostname. Different operating systems may handle this differently, but I confirmed this on Windows 7, RedHat Linux and a 7-year-old SUSE Personal Linux 9.1 server. Your DataStage engine servers need to be properly configured with different hostnames. Once that is correct then you can focus on the engine credentials issue.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

jwiles wrote:If you have multiple IP addresses in your hosts file associated to the same name, more than likely the first listed will be chosen to resolve the hostname.
I'm certain you can take out the "more than likely" part of that statement. This is just a text file with absolutely no intelligence in it, it gets read from top to bottom and the first match wins.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qutesanju
Participant

Post by qutesanju »

How can i edit DataStage Engine Tier (hostname) and Project name? is there any way OR just edit hosts files?
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

What do you mean by "edit the hostname and project name"? Modify them within the login box? No...cannot be done.

When installed, an engine tier is registered with a services tier (a basic requirement of Information Server). Only the engine tiers registered to a services tier and the projects present in those engine tiers (i.e. created with DataStage Administrator) will be available to select from (in the drop-down box) when you attempt to login to the Information Server environment (a services tier server) with appropriate client software (Designer, Director, FastTrack, Administrator). If an engine server and/or project is not listed, it is not available in that environment.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.