$DSHOME/bin not part of dsenv file

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

thebird
Participant

$DSHOME/bin not part of dsenv file

Post by thebird »

Hi,

We have just moved over to version 8.5 and I see that $DSHOME/bin
has not been included in the dsenv file.
Typically I have seen the $DSHOME/bin always included as part of the PATH environment variable.

How this was noticed was - a job sequence which was designed to call dsjob in a Routine Activity aborted when it was run in 8.5. The arguement only had dsjob -run ..... instead of $DSHOME/bin/dsjob -run....

What I am interested in knowing is if there is any other impact of not having the $DSHOME/bin as part of the PATH variable - apart from the issue related to the dsjob command (which i can consider as a code issue probably). Also I was under the impression that by default the dsenv file would have $DSHOME/bin as part of $PATH - but looks like that is not the case.

Thanks!
------------------
Aneesh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You've seen what I imagine the only impact would be - anything that uses a relative path to any of the contents of the bin directory will be prone to failure. What all those might be I can't say and don't have access to anything to check. If you've had that line there before go ahead and simply add it back in as it certainly can't hurt anything.

Is it elsewhere now? Someone's .profile perhaps?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

By default $DSHOME/bin is not included in PATH in dsenv. DataStage projects know where it is (because they know where $DSHOME is).

Lots of sites do include it so that they can source dsenv and then execute commands from the command line (explaining your experience), but it's not necessary for DataStage processes.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, there you go. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

In the default dsenv file:

DSHOME is set and used in the library path but not in PATH.

In fact, PATH is not in the file at all.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius