Can 8.5 client be used with 8.1 FP2 server edition?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

johm73
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by johm73 »

Based on what I see/read there doesn't seem to be a lot of bang for the pain of doing migration upgrade. At least for running Sever Edition because it seems most of the advantages are with Enterprise Edition.

I've reviewed the notes and the breakout between Server & Enterprise isn't always so clear, but that is what I've surmised.

However, we are having trouble running 8.1 FP2 clients on Windows 7. More specifically the FP2 install fails every time and the client stability has been hit or miss. This leads me to my question above or any additional thoughts on whether it's worth it to upgrade in a server edition environment.

Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

8.5 client can NOT be used with 8.1 server.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Short answer: the versions must match.

The long answer is in another recent thread... which Eric was kind enough to link to.
Last edited by chulett on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

If you are in a big shop and are forced to migrate your workstation to Windows 7... you might want to think of a Citrix setup running your own flavor of Windows rather than the company standard workstation roleout.

Or spin up a Windows VM, but your big company shops may frown upon that as well because it's mostly a licensing and support issue.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

See this topic regarding client/server version mismatch:

viewtopic.php?t=145302
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Version 8.1 clients should still be supported on certain editions of Windows 7 (not Home edition). So if it's causing a problem, contact Support about it.

I really like viewing job logs from within Designer (Ctrl+L). That feature was introduced in version 8.5 fix pack 1, and likewise is in version 8.7.

I suspect that the main new feature in DataStage 8.7, released October 2011, for server edition (and parallel) is the web-based DataStage Operations Console. For parallel jobs, it's probably the extension of the debugger support.

There's also additional integration with source code control systems in version 8.7.

Here's a version 8.5 What's New link:

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview ... wg27018354

Here's a version 8.7 What's New link:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... ew_87.html

If or when you decide to upgrade, I suggest you migrate directly to 8.7 once rather than 8.5 once then again to 8.7 later. We were on 8.5 and migrated to 8.7 (no in-place upgrade to 8.7).
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
johm73
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by johm73 »

Thanks for all of the great information as well as answering my question.

regards