Parameter Setting in Sequence showing Error

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

palak08
Participant

Parameter Setting in Sequence showing Error

Post by palak08 »

Hi,

I am creating a sequence and when I set Parameter value as SetTodefault I am not able to change the value of any parameter at run time. However If I change this option to 'Insert Parameter' my sequnece aborts with a warning "Error calling DSSetParam(iConnect.JPM_WK_SAP_XREF_FILE_DT), code=-3
[ParamName does not reference a known parameter of the job]".

Can any one explain me the difference in 'SetToDefault' and 'InsertParameter' in any job activity.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What they do is pretty self-evident from their names and the behaviour that you've seen. The former forces the use of the 'default' value you defined in the controlled job at design time, the latter lets you override that at run time.

You, however, have an entirely different problem. Do an exact search here for "ParamName does not reference a known parameter of the job" if you are unsure what your error means.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This error might occur, of course, when you're trying to use the Insert Parameter tool, if the parameter does not exist (or no longer exists) in the controlled job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
palak08
Participant

Post by palak08 »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your reply. I think I am stuck with a big problem here then.

We have created a project level parameter set where we have created all the parameters which we are using in any job.
For example I have 10 jobs. If every job is using one parameter then all those parameters are created in the parameter set and in all the jobs we are adding that parameter set with "Set to Default" option.

When we did unit testing. then we set the parameter to "set to default" option and all the jobs and sequences ran fine.

But then we realized that in this option we can not pass parameter set values at run time. Every time, after changing the values, we need to compile all the jobs and sequences.

Now we have almost 400+ jobs. Is their a work around? we need to pass different parameters in every run. Originally we were planning to create a parameter file in Unix and pass the parameters to master sequence and that will take care of everything else.

But now with "Set to Default" option set, this approach will not work as after everytime after changing the parameter value, we have to compile all the sequences and jobs.

It would be very very helpful if anyone can help us with some work around here.

Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So Ray was the only person that replied, eh? Nice.
-craig

palak08
Participant

Post by palak08 »

chulett wrote:So Ray was the only person that replied, eh? Nice.
Not like that :) I am always thankful to DSXchange for providing their suggestion.

Thanks to all as always!! :D
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can only pass a Parameter Set from a sequence to a Job activity when the job itself refers to that Parameter Set.

Have you tried passing a Parameter Set element (parameter) using dot notation (setname.parametername) as appropriate?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
palak08
Participant

Post by palak08 »

Thanks for your suggestion. I made the changes and it worked for few sequence, but for other I am still getting following error:
" Controller problem: Error calling DSSetParam, code=-3
ParamName does not reference a known parameter of the job"

Here is the problem and the steps I took to debug it:
One sequence has three jobs called in serial order. If I run sequence with first 2 jobs, it runs fine but as soon as I add third one, it throws the error.

I searched on the forum and found that "reloading job definition in Job activity" fix this issue. I tried this solution also but could not succeed.

The weird thing is all three jobs have exact same parameter set in them. Still sequence runs successfully when I add first 2 jobs but fails as soon as I add the third one.

It would be really helpful if you can provide me your suggestion on the same.

Thanks Again!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Make sure it IS exactly the same. Parameter Set names are case sensitive.
palak08
Participant

Post by palak08 »

Thanks a lot.... this works!
Just reloading job definition in job activity, reloading parameter set and disabling run time column propagation did the trick.

Thanks much for your help!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't see how "disabling run time column propagation" would have anything to do with the fix but glad you got the rest sorted out. As Ray noted, just saying that all three jobs had identical parameters in them didn't help, they actually had to be identical. :wink:
-craig

palak08
Participant

Post by palak08 »

That's true. Having identical parameter set is pre-requisite. Probably thats why, when I re-loaded parameter set, it fixed the problem.

But in one of the sequences, I saw that disabling "run time column propagation" fixed this error

:roll:

Thanks for all your valuable suggestions!