Enable "Generate Operational Metadata"

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinay_renu2001
Participant

Enable "Generate Operational Metadata"

Post by vinay_renu2001 »

Hello Everyone!

I would like to enable the option "Generate Operational Metadata" which is in DataStage Administrator ver 8.1 under "General Tab" through a shell script.

I would need to automate this by writing a script which will enable and disable the above mentioned option for all the projects created on a particular IIS Server.

I would like to know the possible options to achieve this?

Appreciate all the inputs!
Thanks and Regards
Vin
arvind_ds
Participant

Post by arvind_ds »

I think this feature of generating operational metadata through script is not available in version 8.1
Arvind
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

What are you trying to accomplish?

Perhaps there is another method instead of dynamically toggling that setting.
vinay_renu2001
Participant

Post by vinay_renu2001 »

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the response.

What i am trying to achieve is, I want to enable the option "Generate Operational Metadata" for a short period of time of One day for example on all the projects on a Server, let the jobs run on all the projects, Then Turn Off the option. So that, the operational metadata that is created during that period can be imported into repository and can generate reports from Metadata Workbench.
Thanks and Regards
Vin
vinay_renu2001
Participant

Post by vinay_renu2001 »

Hello Ernie,

I do not have the liberty to touch the existing code on any projects that are already created & will be created to use the arguement [-opmetadata [TRUE | FALSE]] during run time. This idea is not viable for me at this time.

What i am trying to achieve is to create a report with the list of all the Categories (Directories) under /Jobs and the last job run info in each Category.
Thanks and Regards
Vin
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I wouldn't suggest using OMD for that...and you certainly don't want to arbitrarily turn on OMD at the project level (it can be done at the administrator client but it not something to do without a lot of awareness of the jobs and the project, etc.).

Do your own inspection using dsjob...it can pull out status of jobs and such...... search the threads here...there must be thousands of entries on the use of, and impact of, dsjob.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
vinay_renu2001
Participant

Post by vinay_renu2001 »

Hello Ernie,

Appreciate your response.

This is not at all arbitrary. And, we are fully aware of the repercussions of enabling OMD at project level. For that reason, we do not want to keep it enabled for an extended period of time.

However, i would refrain from discussing more about the non-technical issues.
Thanks and Regards
Vin
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I doubt seriously if there is any "normal" or "formal" way to change that value at the project level programmatically. You may just have to use the GUI.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>