NETEZZA - Datawarehousing Project

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

NETEZZA - Datawarehousing Project

Post by karthi_gana »

All,

My manager asked me to work on Netezza dataware housing project. It is almost like moving from Datastage to Netezza for the next 8 months. I have no idea about this tool. I have to start from the scratch. I just wanted to know how is the market for Netezza? is it the right decision to move to Netezza? do I get more job oppurtunity for Netezza (across the world)?

I have searched on google and came to know IBM acquired Netezza on Sep/2010. I have also seen a stage called Netezza stage in datastage.

This is what i know about Netezza for now. :)

Inputs are welcome!
Karthik
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm sure there are resources and peer groups for Neteeza like this one for DataStage out there somewhere, those would be the proper place for questions of this nature. IMHO.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Indeed...there are probably a whole lot of resources for Neteeza....but from where I sit, it is a very hot commodity right now. It's a very popular "appliance" for doing decision support, and it competes very well in its space. New stages and capabilities have been added to DataStage because of this popularity and because the two together offer an even greater solution. I've been asked to help sites with data lineage and Neteeza, so there is clearly a demand...

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

It's a small world. When IBM bought out the Ascential, a whole bunch of Sr. engineers who did not want to work for IBM, so they joined the Nettezza.
Then several years later, Nettezza got bought out by IBM. That's how it works these days in computing services industry.

Personally, I learned so many tricks from these folks as to how to optimize PX jobs to work on Nettezza. However, you still find more jobs for Datastage developers with either Teradata or Netteza experience.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Netezza has a much smaller customer base. I think Information Server 8.5 alone is over 1000 customers now and Netezza is probably less than 100. It may be a valuable specialty but there are less jobs available. There is very good pricing for Information Server for Netezza - it is significantly cheaper than buying information Server stand alone and has unlimited PVUs and environments when used to load Netezza. The pack comes with DataStage and the Balanced Optimiser and some of the foundation tools. So you could try recommending DataStage to the Netezza project team.
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

Thanks for all your information. Any more inputs on this topic?
Karthik