Datastage 8.5 installation on RHEL 6.0 - Need help

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shekark
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage 8.5 installation on RHEL 6.0 - Need help

Post by shekark »

Hi,

I have installed Datastage 8.5 on RHEL 6.0 with the installation completed successfully (as the final message says). I am able to login into the console which means the basic services are running, however I do not see the default project created. I tried to login using the Adminstrator client but faced this error.

"Error calling subroutine: *DataStage*DSR.ADMIN (Action=26); check DataStage is set up correctly in project UV"

I have done some investigation using on the information found on DSXchange and the web, the installaton log revealed that the project creation failed, below is the excerpt from the log.

Program "DSR_QUICKADD.B": Line 153, "*DataStage*DSR.ADMIN" is not in the CATALOG space.
[ENOENT] No such file or directory
Program "DSR_QUICKADD.B": Line 153, Incorrect VOC entry for *DataStage*DSR.ADMIN.
Program "DSR_QUICKADD.B": Line 153, Unable to load subroutine.
2012-02-21T16:31:08.882, INFO: CDIIN6204I: Successfully created DataStage project: projectName = dstage1, projectPath = /opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projec
ts/dstage1, projectVersion = New

I tried to create the project using uvsh

RUN BP DSR_QUICKADD.B 60806\999\01/01/2500\localds.localserver.com\0 dstage1 /opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/dstage1 CREATE

but ended up with this message

==========================
Quick Add Project Starting

ProjectName: dstage1
ProjectLocation: /opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/dstage1

Program "DSR_QUICKADD.B": Line 153, "*DataStage*DSR.ADMIN" is not in the CATALOG space.
Program "DSR_QUICKADD.B": Line 153, Incorrect VOC entry for *DataStage*DSR.ADMIN.

I checked around the Datastage directories to see what was causing this problem and found there were minimal entries in the catdir/*DataStage*DSR directory

[root@localds *DataStage*DSR]# pwd
/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine/catdir/*DataStage*DSR
[root@localds *DataStage*DSR]# ll
total 32
-rwxrwxr-x 1 dsadm dstage 11246 Feb 21 16:27 _LOADSTRING
-rwxrwxr-x 1 dsadm dstage 6892 Feb 21 16:27 _MESSAGE
-rwxrwxr-x 1 dsadm dstage 11288 Feb 21 16:27 _TRACE
[root@localds *DataStage*DSR]#

Would want to know if there are any other contents that are missing in this directory, if so, how to resolve this.

Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

There should be hundreds of entries in catdir - mine has 338. Looks like even your engine installation was not successful.
:(
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Datastage 8.5 installation on RHEL 6.0 - Need help

Post by qt_ky »

shekark wrote:= /opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projec
ts/dstage1, projectVersion = New
The line break in the project path could be a concern. Hopefully that's just how the log file or the forum formatted it. If you installed from a response file, check that, or from the wizard, make sure a new line did not actually get inserted. That's the only thing that jumps out at me.

I would try a complete uninstall and reinstall once, and if the same error came up, I would open a PMR with IBM Support. The only other thing I could think to do would be to read through the installer's log files. By default, those are under /tmp.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
shekark
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shekark »

Thanks Ray.

Thanks qt_ky, It was more of a formatting problem when I copied it from the installation log. :)

I have now decided to give it another go, will start from formatting the OS and then proceed to install DS again. Hopefully it should work this time.

Wish me luck.. :)
shekark
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shekark »

Tough luck :(

It is the same dreaded error again.

Quick Add Project Starting

ProjectName: dstage1
ProjectLocation: /opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/dstage1

2012-02-23T22:30:20.648, INFO: CDIIN6204I: Successfully created DataStage project: projectName = dstage1, projectPath = /opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/dstage1, projectVersion = New

Has anyone else come across such a problem.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

That's too bad... It's time to contact support. I think that will be faster than attempting to repair any damage yourself, unless someone here knows the answer.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please verify that you're performing the installation as root. This is mandatory.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
shekark
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shekark »

Thanks qt_ky for the tip.

Ray, The installation is started through root user only.