something spectacular with the id 'dsadm'

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

something spectacular with the id 'dsadm'

Post by zulfi123786 »

A job was deleted from designer but the designer session got hung and was forcebly closed from citrix task manager, From then on the job appears in designer but not in director - some thing many people faced here.

When the job is opened from designer the options 'Save/Save As/Run/Compile' are disabled [ these were available prior to the delete ]

The entries for the job were half way deleted, we tried deleting from designer and it said 'job cannot be found'.
Tried reimporting the executable and same error.
checked if there is an entry in DS_JOBS and there was none.

Raised the issue with the datastage admin and he logs in with 'dsadm' the option which were disabled for us were enabled for him and he hits 'save' everything gets back to normal.

this left me wondering "what actually happened and how the repository reacts differently for dsadm"
- Zulfi
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Real? dsadm is the DataStage administrator account but that should not let them show magic like this ;)

I guess when the delete session hung, the session got locked. May be dsadm released the lock and save/saveAs buttons were enabled. Again it's my guess only...

"job can't be found" error is fishy though !!
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

it has nothing to do with locks as we have searched for all processes and there were none accessing the job we have closed all session so even if any lock was held it would get orphaned out and automatically released by the datastage deamon

Interesting though .... waiting for the gurus to shed some light :wink:
- Zulfi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It appears that Designer looks in the local (project) repository. Director looks in the unified metadata repository (XMETA).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

thanks Ray......

Was also wondering how differently the repository interacts with dsadm id compared to others id's......

I being the owner of the job was not able to save/compile but dsadm hit the save button and every thing got corrected.
- Zulfi
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

'dsadm' is the superuserof DataStage, the equivalent (in a manner of speaking) of 'root' in a UNIX system. Not sure how spectacular that is but it certainly is... super. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
nelab28
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nelab28 »

Another option, Try to check the versions of installation. Sometimes, the client version you installed could be different to what you need to install.
Essentially check if there is any difference from a installation or patch perspective. This could sometimes show you funny things.