Compare Against/Cross Project Compare not available

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Compare Against/Cross Project Compare not available

Post by zulfi123786 »

We have promoted a set of jobs to Production some time back and today from the DEV environment wanted to compare with PROD copy and found that the options "Compare Against/Cross project compare" are not availabe (freezed from selection) for two jobs.

There was a problem with these jobs while they were initially imported to PROD where they were taking 2.5 hours to import with executable and then IBM gave a patch which made the import down to 8 minutes.

Any one faced the freezing of the options ? The id being used has import privilages for the jobs so i guess there should not be a problem related to access.
- Zulfi
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

Is there anything special in these jobs - like stages used are more or custom stage used or build op used? Also when you select cross compare, you are selecting jobs from Dev right?
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

if there are more stages or build op stage, i guess that should be the cause as if there is a feature it should work irrespective of volume.

Yes, i am trying to compare from DEV
- Zulfi
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

You have two different basic questions here.

1) Are you asking how to compare your DEV job to your PROD job to ensure they are the same executable?

2) Are you asking why your PROD job encountered the 2.5 hour import delay?

===============

We had the first question some time back and Tony Cursio coded something up for me on his vacation. (He's nuts, and I pray his wife doesn't learn who he did that work for or my goose would be cooked.) But what he coded was a routine to print out to a text file for all of the job compile times. Our site does not compile in PROD, so the compile time of the DEV code would match the compile time of PROD (if they are the same). We extract our Jobs / Sequencers and export them to an external source control system. One DSX per element. We take it from there and bring it into QA (no compiling in QA either). So our compile times should be "set" at least for QA. The compare of compile time can now be done on that text file extracted from both environments.

Never heard of your 2.5 hour import delay issue.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you tried initiating the comparison from PROD?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

If i try to initiate the comparision from PROD, for all jobs the two options are freezed.

I can only initiate from DEV, it works for all jobs except the two where after initiating the copmarision from DEV it asks to attach to a project and then when i connect to the project and try to find these two jobs, they are not found (quick find says job not found, even i try to browse to the location the jobs are missing)
- Zulfi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are these two jobs compiled successfully in production?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

It would appear that the jobs never imported correctly into prod to begin with. Try re-importing into your QA environment to see if your import process works for your two objects.
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Are these two jobs compiled successfully in production?
They are not compiled but imported with executable into Production and they are running fine since an year.

I am making a guess if the patch applied is making the difference.
- Zulfi