&HOLD& directory

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ketfos
Participant

&HOLD& directory

Post by ketfos »

Hi,

What is the use of &HOLD& directory?

What type of information it stores?

Thanks

Ketfos
ketfos
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The &HOLD& directory is not used by DataStage. It will not exist in most DataStage projects, unless someone has been experimenting with the SETPTR command and actually executed a SETPTR command with a mode argument of 3.

&HOLD& is a legacy from the UniVerse RBDMS on which DataStage server engine used to be based. Its purpose was to act as a place to hold print-ready files where it was not desired to print them immediately.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

I have checked in several of my projects and all projects have this directory &HOLD& although we ahve never used the BASIC command SETPTR.
According to datastage NLS manual -
The SETPTR statement allows you to associate a map with a print channel.
This means you can determine display widths for formatting spooled
output.

I created a new project and I find the same directory is also created.

ketfos
ketfos
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This tells me that &HOLD& was created for some reason in your Template (from which projects are created). It may be universally deleted from DataStage with impunity.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

It must be created "at the factory" in the template, as I have looked and found it in default projects on 8.7. It contains an empty file named .Type1 and a 6 byte file named .uvnlsmap with line 1 having NONE and line 2 having 0. There's also the corresponding D_&HOLD& file. It's not wasting much space and I'm not concerned about it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :idea:
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius