Resetting a hierarchy of seqences

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

evee1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Resetting a hierarchy of seqences

Post by evee1 »

I have a hierarchy of sequences in which failure of a sequence in the lowest level causes all the sequences "above" it abort (which is the expected behaviour).
Currently, when the problem is fixed and I would like to restart processing from the beginning, I have to reset every single sequence in a hierarchy. there are only four of them, but enough to make support people complain :wink:.
Is there a way to reset only the highest level sequence and make all the other to follow?
Last edited by evee1 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, not that I've ever seen.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
suse_dk
Participant

Post by suse_dk »

Can't you problem be solved by setting the execution action to "Reset if required, then run" for all sub sequencers? Then it should only be necessary for support to reset the top sequencer...
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

suse_dk wrote:Can't you problem be solved by setting the execution action to "Reset if required, then run" for all sub sequencers? Then it should only be necessary for support to reset the top sequencer...
Only if you never want to be able to do a checkpoint restart.
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That doesn't mean you couldn't build something clever to work around this issue. I'm thinking a job parameter, probably of a List type with two simple values, yes or no. Add a new routine that you write to the job flow and branch around it for normal runs since it defaults to 'No'. On a reset run, flip the parameter to 'Yes' so the routine runs first in the flow. It then goes out and uses the API to reset the three sub-sequence jobs.

Of course, you'll still need to reset the master sequence manually but that would simplify things for the operators. Or you could just tell them to suck it and reset the sub-sequences manually as well. How onerous could it be? :wink:
-craig

evee1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by evee1 »

I definitely need to be able to do checkpointed run.
Thanks for the idea Craig. I might do as you suggest if there is a lot of noise ;-). In the setup we've got it should be relatively easy to do it, as there is one high level sequence for each stream that may require resetting (they are run by ControlM so the value of the parameter may be passed from there).