Test -s: Handle Unix Command Error, CC=1, and CC=0

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zaino22
Premium Member
Premium Member

Test -s: Handle Unix Command Error, CC=1, and CC=0

Post by zaino22 »

Hi Forum:
I have "test -s" in Execute command stage, and has one requirement, and last 2 are optional:

Return Value="0" then send email file is populated.
Return Value="1" Do nothing.
Return Value= Any Unix command Error, Abort the Job.

I want to be able to handle Unix command error in case if there is an issue (not really care about Return value=1) and if i don't handle Return value=1 I cant think of any other way to handle Unix command error.
Am i doing it right? or Should i only take care of Return Value="0" and send email, and not worry about Unix Command error?
For now, I have Email step at=0, sequencer (with no output links) at =1 and Terminate sequence at otherwise (Unix command error). Is this acceptable practice ? please share your suggestions.
Thanks to all who reply.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Exit status 0 is handled by an OK trigger. Exit status 1 would need to be handled by a Custom trigger. The others can be handled by an Otherwise trigger into a Terminator.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
zaino22
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zaino22 »

Thanks for your reply Ray...
So to handle OK, did i do it right by creating an output link that leads to a sequence and which in turn does nothing or is there any other way to handle OK knowing I really don't want to trigger anything just handle it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you mean "leads to a Sequencer" you've got it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
fmou
Participant

Post by fmou »

zaino22 wrote:So to handle OK, did i do it right by creating an output link that leads to a sequence and which in turn does nothing or is there any other way to handle OK knowing I really don't want to trigger anything just handle it.
Did you mean Return Value="0" or 1? Because Exit status 0 is handled by an OK trigger, and you said,

Return Value="0" then send email file is populated.
Return Value="1" Do nothing.

thx
zaino22
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zaino22 »

To "fmou": I am sorry I didn't mean OK I meant Return Value=1 (do nothing) and Ray replied Its okay to use sequencer to handle do nohing link.

Thanks Ray for your help and thanks for pointing out my incorrect reference to sequencer. :)