UV Script to release Job Locks from Unix

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nirav.parikh
Participant

UV Script to release Job Locks from Unix

Post by nirav.parikh »

Can someone share a Job Unlock UV script which has automated the process of releasing job locks. That is a script which accepts just the project and job name and release all the locks associated with that job, the list.readu and "unlock user <userno> all " commands in a interactive script to make the lock administration and housekeeping tasks simpler.

I tried searching the forum a lot for this kind of script but could not locate one. It would be great if someone has already done this.

Regards,
Nirav
Thanks & Regards
Nirav
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't believe that method of releasing job locks is still valid in the 8.x release. Could be wrong, someone will know for certain.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Mr Daignault knows how to do that. I bet you could corner him at the Vegas IOD and pry it out of him. :)

He's a UV wizard. Much like Sauron the first orchadmin. :P
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The unlock scripts for UV locks are already in place, in the DS.TOOLS menu. However, job locks are not necessarily held in the "UniVerse" (DataStage) database any more. The correct mechanism is to disconnect the owning session, which automatically releases the job locks.

Don't forget that having the DataStage deadlock daemon running will automatically release locks not held by valid processes periodically.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nirav.parikh
Participant

Post by nirav.parikh »

Thanks for all your responses gentlemen. Ray I am aware of the DS.TOOLS menu, it is just that I was trying to create a script which would abstract the UV commands, I do not want lot of people fiddling with UV commands as that can mess up things. So I wanted to create a script which would take the job name and project name as input and will release universe locks if any held by that particular job.

We have had issues with jobs hanging intermittently, where they do not process anything after the jobs are started and then we need to stop it and release all the UV locks along with the fifo files in order to rerun it, on rerun that same job completes successfully. We have a admin team who handle this cases and this team is a multi product admin team and we the datastage guys do not want to expose all the UV commands, so that someone does not mess up things by mistake. Meanwhile we are trying to find out the cause of the locks with the service provider.
Thanks & Regards
Nirav