ETL through COBOL

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

ETL through COBOL

Post by pandeesh »

Is it possible to do ETL process via COBOL?(provided db is db2)

do anyone have experience in that?

if yes, is there any tool to conver those COBOL jobs into datastage jobs?

Thanks
Last edited by pandeesh on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
pandeeswaran
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Short answer - no. There is a version of DataStage called DataStage MVS that lets you build a DataStage job in Designer and compile it into a Cobol program to transfer and run on the mainframe. I don't think it can reverse engineer existing Cobol programs. You can use DataStage to read Cobol copybooks to process files created by Cobol. You can use database replication technology to get transactions off a mainframe DB2 database to make it available to a DataStage server off the mainframe and remove the complexity of finding changed data. I suggest you find a good solution architect.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you get to version 8.5 there are new ways for getting at DB2 on mainframe from parallel jobs that would make your life easier. But you will still definitely need to analyse the logic of the COBOL program's procedure division and replicate that logic in DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Please don't ask me for specifics -- I am not in a position to share code, regretfully -- but this is something to which I have had to give some thought.

Your first step is to flowchart your Cobol programs. I have found that, in the absence of a utility for conversion, a flowcharted program can point the way to a DataStage design. If your shop is big enough and has the budget to spend on it, an analysis tool like Micro Focus Revolve can be a very big help in identifying Cobol routines that could translate to a stage or group of stages.

Much depends on the state of your Cobol design. The better the structure, the easier it should be to translate. For example, if a program keeps all or nearly all of its business logic within one paragraph or series of paragraphs, it will help you isolate those portions that are most difficult to translate. If the design is haphazard or subject to multiple "styles", you might be better off starting from the requirements and staying away from the Cobol.

Just my thoughts. Free advice is often worth what you pay for it. :wink:
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pandeesh »

Thanks Franklin!! 8) 8) 8)
pandeeswaran
venkatvelpula
Participant

Cobol ETL Logic Conversion to Datastage

Post by venkatvelpula »

Hi Pandeesh,

Any helpful notes/considerations on Cobol ETL Logic conversion to Datastage Processes
pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Cobol ETL Logic Conversion to Datastage

Post by pandeesh »

venkatvelpula wrote:Hi Pandeesh,

Any helpful notes/considerations on Cobol ETL Logic conversion to Datastage Processes
No!i haven't got any..still i am wondering how ETL can be done via COBOL
pandeeswaran
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

ETL via COBOL would be done like ETL via any other language. That is, in a manner consistent with the capabilities of the language and the systems that are being used.

ETL has been performed in some manner on some system for decades: Read some data, twiddle with the bits and bytes and then write it somewhere else, be that a database or a file on tape. It's only relatively recently that it's been called ETL. I do in DataStage now what I did for years beforehand in Assembler, PL/I, COBOL and C with assorted supporting tools.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.