DataStage 7.5.3 and AIX 6.1 - any experiences?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage 7.5.3 and AIX 6.1 - any experiences?

Post by MT »

Hi,

a customer wants to upgrade from AIX 5.3 to AIX 6.1 on the LPAR where we run DataStage 7.5.3. and RTI 7.5.2.8.
Officially this combination is not supported by IBM.
But....
has anyone run this combination already?
Any experiences?

This is really nothing I want to try but the circumstances at the customer might not give us any chance to stop it....

Many thanks in adcvance
MT
regards

Michael
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have no experience with this combination. But remember that the customer (a) is always right and (b) having been professionally advised bears responsibility for any decisions.

Have them sign a document confirming that they have decided to act against your professional advice and indemnifying you from any consequences of that decision. This will, at the very least, give them pause.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Does your customer really understand the meaning of that combination is not supported by IBM? Becasue that also means any future DS problems occure in that new environment, IBM tech support will not fix for you.

So advise your customer, with a BIG smile, that even you are able to migrate all the stuff to the new AIX 6.1 environment, but who's going to fix any future software bugs? Nobody!

In IT business for almost 40 years, my advice to you is do NOT ask your customer to sign an document to cover your butt becasue it just wouldn't happen.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The idea is not to have them sign the document, but to think again about the implications of the decision they want to make.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.