Pass UserStatus from underlying sequence 2 calling sequence

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

fkana
Participant

Pass UserStatus from underlying sequence 2 calling sequence

Post by fkana »

Hi,

I have a master_seq which call an underlying source_seq which in turn calls a piece of JCL code which executes a command line to source data. The JCL job sets the user status to one of 3: success, failed, nothingnew(if now new files were generated for a certain time period).

In the source_seq job - which calls the JCL job - I can set the userstatus from the underlying JCL job in the triggers of the calling source_seq job to success|failed|nohtingnew and the flow will follow the respective link.

I get all of the above to work perfectly fine but my challenge is:
How do I pass the user status from the source_seq - which i received from the JCL job - to the master_seq. Or how do i set the user status in a sequence job and pass it to the calling sequence job.

master_seq -------> source_seq ------> JCL job

TIA.

Faeez
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use the $UserStatus activity variable from the Job activity that invoked the "JCL job". Not really sure what you mean by JCL here - it's usually a mainframe term.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
fkana
Participant

Post by fkana »

Hi Ray,

That's exactly what I do and it works fine for the source_seq. I now want to send the same userstatus to the master_seq. How do I do that?

JCL is a job control in basic.

Thanks.

Faeez
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Put a Routine activity into the master sequence to read the user status area of the "JCL" job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.