Run all the jobs concurrently

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

praburaj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Run all the jobs concurrently

Post by praburaj »

Hi All,

I have developed 7 jobs. Now I need to run all the 7 jobs concurrently. There is no dependency in any of the jobs. Is there any way to do in the sequence. If yes, Please help me how to do?
prabakaran.v
GJ_Stage
Participant

Post by GJ_Stage »

You can put all the jobs in one Parallel job if job parameters are common and the run this job. So all the jobs will run concurrently.
praburaj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by praburaj »

GJ_Stage wrote:You can put all the jobs in one Parallel job if job parameters are common and the run this job. So all the jobs will run concurrently.
Sorry I didn't explain my requirement clearly. Please apologies for that.

I have developed 7 jobs. All the jobs have moved to other job. That means one job consists 7 already developed jobs.

If I run the job, now all jobs are running concurrently. Suppose 4th job run successfully and 7th job got aborted. Now, I need to run the job.

If I run the job all the jobs are running again, concurrently even the job which is in finished status.

I don't want that. I need to execute only the aborted job. I don't want to run the job which one in finished status.

Please guide me how to do this?
prabakaran.v
TPons
Participant

Post by TPons »

In a job sequencec, specify your each and every job with a job activity stage. As you said that there is no dependencies between your jobs, do not give any interconnection between job activity stages.
When you run the job sequence, all the jobs specified in the sequence will run simultaneously..
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Give that a shot, but I honestly don't believe it is as simple as that even though it seems like it should be. Let us know.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
GJ_Stage
Participant

Post by GJ_Stage »

Based on any condition you can do it. For example this 7 jobs is reading file and writing into table means you can put condition if the table is empty you can continue otherwise come out.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It IS as simple as Craig doesn't believe. Seven disconnected job activities will run simultaneously - or as close to simultaneously as their startup times permit.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Except we've been through this before and from what I recall they run in a serial fashion if all you do is dump them on the canvas unconnected. I'll see if I can dig up the rather lengthy discussion...
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

They START in serial fashion - such is the nature of sequence (special case of server job). But they run simultaneously. Even if you create your own job control routine with PHANTOM statements, you're never going to do better than that without using a multi-threaded scheduler.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

The same is true of a sequence stage fanning out to multiple job activities. They will be started in a sequential order but run in parallel if the system can start them all.
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

... and yet I still have this nagging remembrance of going through all this some time ago and that not being quite correct. I don't have any kind of DataStage access, so can't check the generated source code or play any reindeer games to help out so may just leave it at that, unless I am successful in digging the topic up that I'm thinking of from the dustbin of DSXchange. [sigh]

We shall see.

:( I am just full of fail it seems, no amount of search-fu can turn up what I am thinking of, so... never mind.

Please do let us know how this works out for you.
-craig