migrating to Datastage 8.5 from Datastage 7.5

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sachinnilose
Premium Member
Premium Member

migrating to Datastage 8.5 from Datastage 7.5

Post by sachinnilose »

We are migrating to Datastage 8.5 from Datastage 7.5. In Datastage 7.5 we have jobs which use oracle Database using enterprise stage and we also have sequencer jobs in 7.5 parallel environment.
My query is can we upgrade directly to 8.5 parallel edition from 7.5 environment, if yes then what is the procedure for datastage upgrade. As we do not have metadata repository in 7.5 version how to create the same for 8.5.
Thanks for any inputs.

Regards,
Sachin
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The upgrade is fairly straightforward, and jobs and sequences will be upgraded as part of it. Details about how to upgrade from version 7.5 can be found in the Installation and Upgrade manual for Information Server, which you have with the version 8.5 software. It's also available from the Information Server Information Center, which you can find on the IBM web sites.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Make sure you consider the DataStage Migration Assistant and you have gone through a Solution Architecture design process prior to upgrade to work out what topology you are installing. Get a copy of the 8.5 Installation Guide well ahead of time and read through the section on topologies and high availability. Version 8.5 gives you more high availability options than ever before but also gives you a four tier topology instead of the 7.5 two tier topology so you need to think about where everything goes and what database repository you will use.

You can migrate from 7.5 to 8.5 or try an upgrade. There is a utility to convert your Enterprise stages to Connector Stages (optional but recommended). Sequence Jobs are exactly the same in 8.5. Most parallel jobs are the same.
manuel.gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by manuel.gomez »

ray.wurlod wrote:The upgrade is fairly straightforward, and jobs and sequences will be upgraded as part of it. Details about how to upgrade from version 7.5 can be found in the Installation and Upgrade manual for Information Server, which you have with the version 8.5 software. It's also available from the Information Server Information Center, which you can find on the IBM web sites.
Ray

Let me kick this one up, but I am really intrigated

Are you saying that server jobs are "converted" to Parallel jobs?
Or just exported as you could do with export/import utilty? (and some connector conversion)

Thanks a lot
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, there's no conversion of job type, just an automatic upgrade of the version of the jobs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Still no Server Job to Parallel Job migration tool available even though it would be a good idea for IBM to build one.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

vmcburney wrote:Still no Server Job to Parallel Job migration tool available even though it would be a good idea for IBM to build one.
Only if it's optional. :evil:
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Would you prefer a parallel to server job conversion tool? :wink:
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

what about this one? ;)

No server or parallel job going forward, but only server and parallel stages. You will always have one canvas to develop your job with both server and parallel stages.

haha.. This discussion should be a new thread though!! Sorry ;)
Kandy

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, I think keeping the canvases different for the different engines is appropriate.