Shared Containers Info

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

altruist
Participant

Shared Containers Info

Post by altruist »

Hi All,

I am unable to comprehend the importance of Shared Containers.

I am using local shared containers for readability purpose, other than that, what significance does shared containers [multiple instance jobs performs the same functionality]

Thank You
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's a 'reusable object'. Write once, leverage in multiple jobs, change in one place, all places see the same change. Does that help at all? Not really associated with [what you put in the square brackets] by the way.

The concept of shared containers works the same Server v. Parallel and you can even use a 'Server Shared Container' in a Parallel job - with caveats. The reverse is not true, however.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

For example, you might create a shared container for generic error handling. Within the container additional columns could be added for the job name, the job start time, etc.

In parallel jobs, other columns can be made to flow through the shared container without being specified, by employing "runtime column propagation".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
RikDeclercq
Participant

Example

Post by RikDeclercq »

ray.wurlod wrote:For example, you might create a shared container for generic error handling. Within the container additional columns could be added for the job name, the job start time, etc.
Can you give an example of this ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The job captures the sqlcode value from the target database. This comes into a Transformer stage in the Shared Container which uses DS macros and other techniques to add the project, job name, date, user and any other information required for loading into an error recording table.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.