Adding new column to target table

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

NeoInDS
Participant

Adding new column to target table

Post by NeoInDS »

Hi All,

I am totally new to DS so please pardon my seemingly ignorant question...

I am required to add a new column derivation to the target table of an already existing job using multiple data warehouse table lookups. My first take on this is as simple as adding a new column definition to my table meta data then introduce the new column derivation before my target. Can anyone please confirm/correct my assumed solution? Am I missing any other step here?

Would very much appreciate your help on this.

Neo
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

The technique you outline is valid. It might also be worthwhile performing a Usage (Where Used) Analysis on the table definition before modifying it, so you can be aware which other jobs touch it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
NeoInDS
Participant

Post by NeoInDS »

ray.wurlod wrote:Welcome aboard.

The technique you outline is valid. It might also be worthwhile performing a Usage (Where Used) Analysis on the table definition before modifying it, so you can be aware which other jobs touch it.
Thanks so much, mate! Now I'm more confident to try out this solution.

I don't think the version of our DS (v7.x) supports the Where Used analysis, or maybe I just don't know where to find it. :)
Please pardon my ignorant question. I'm new to the tool and any help provided will be very, very much appreciated.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In Manager client click on table definition to select it then click on the Usage Analysis took (it looks like a beaker) in the toolbar.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
NeoInDS
Participant

Post by NeoInDS »

ray.wurlod wrote:In Manager client click on table definition to select it then click on the Usage Analysis took (it looks like a beaker) in the toolbar. ...
Hi Ray,

Thanks once again but I don't think this feature is available in our version (no breaker icon in my toolbar and the 'Usage Analysis' option doesn't appear when I right click on any job/metadata). This may have been release in v8.x? So I guess I will have to check the impact manually unless there's some other easier way to do it.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Usage Analysis *is* there... unless, perhaps, you have a very early 7.x version. If you have some flavor of 7.5.x, it is definitely there.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Manager client, not Designer.
Pacific007
Participant

Post by Pacific007 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Manager client, not Designer. ...
yes Ray is correct...usage analysis is there in Manager client....