Connecting to virtual Datastage Client through Multi client

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

swarnkar
Participant

Connecting to virtual Datastage Client through Multi client

Post by swarnkar »

Hi,

We are using datastage 7.5 client tool from virtual application, once we got installed DS 8.1 in our local machines we are not able to access 7.5 designer.
Our Admin told us to use Multi Client manager to switch between.
But MCM is not recognizing the 7.5 Clients.

So, is there any way to switch between 8.1 local client and 7.5 virtual client.

Thanks

Nitin Swarnkar
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Both clients need to exist on your local machine. I am not sure how the virtual machine reacts but we have used the MCM on our local machines to access both versions
Jim Stewart
swarnkar
Participant

Post by swarnkar »

Raftsman wrote:Both clients need to exist on your local machine.
Thanks Jim,

But we have a compnay policy to have these application to be accessed only as virtual application. :(

Thanks
Nitin Swarnkar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then you need both clients and the MCM in the virtual environment, it would seem.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
daignault
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by daignault »

Hi all,

My suggestion would be to create 2 virtual machines for the client software. One machine containing the 7.5client image under XP, and a second machine containing the 8.1 client image. Then depending on which server instance you wish to access (7.5 or 8) you only have to start up a new machine.

If your SERVER instances are contained within virtual machines, then the above solution will also work.

Please note, however, that this may clash with Microsoft rules concerning virtual machines and licensing, and I would not advocate this disregarding of the Micro$oft EULA.

Regards,

Ray D
swarnkar
Participant

Post by swarnkar »

Ray,

I don't know much about accessing softwares virtually, but In our installation they have created a WAP (package) and installed it to some remote machine, and there is a user group who has the access to that machine, So whosoever is the memebr of that group, has access to the applications of the remote machine.

Meanwhile we are working on the advice of Craig, and installing Virtual version of 8.1

I will update you about the outcome.

anyways, Thanks everyone.

Nitin
swarnkar
Participant

Post by swarnkar »

Hi All,

We have installed clients of both versions locally, now we are able switch between 7.5 and 8.1 versions using Multi-Client-Manager.
But System Admin group is still working on the solution to, switch when both versions are intalled virtually.

Thanks EveryOne.

Regards,
Nitin Swarnkar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Best of luck, let us know how that turns out, good or bad please!
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers