Dynamically reading MF binary files

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arunkumarmm
Participant

Dynamically reading MF binary files

Post by arunkumarmm »

Is there a way to create a job which reads in any MF binary [EBCDIC] file by providing the copybook dynamically?

The copybook may have COMP/COMP-3 fields or may not be.

I need your valuable suggestions to create a Job/Routine [PX Or Server] if at all this is possible.
Arun
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Importing the copybook manually is the only way to get a complex flat file definition into DataStage. You need to import the copybook definition and then fill in values for record type and define how you are going to flatten the data. Sometimes you need to modify and tweak the copybook to get DataStage to understand it.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

To add to Vince's post - once you have those COBOL copybook definitions loaded into DataStage you can write a job which decides at runtime which (previously loaded) schema file is used to read the input data. This job would need to use runtime column propagation to process data, but it is a possible approach to dynamically read complex files.
arunkumarmm
Participant

Post by arunkumarmm »

Thank you guys for the reply. I'm not able to read it fully though. But I will try with the schema file and let you all know.
Arun