Is there a way to import only one job from an istool ISX?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Is there a way to import only one job from an istool ISX?

Post by mandyli »

Hi

We are using Datastage v8.1. I am doing backup using ISTOOL export and import.

Is there any way to import only one job from isx file instead of whole project or folder?

Thanks
Man
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

No - you must create a new project and restore the entire ISX file into that project. You can then drag-and-drop the job into the correct project using IS Manager.

The Product Manager has already been told we'd like to have the ability to restore individual items, but no details as to when this will be added to the product.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I learned the answer to this question the hard way last week. It is a serious deficiency in the tool and should be that difficult to implement as the backup file contains all the jobs in discrete files which sould be simple to restore singly. The documentation is also weak in that it doesn't clearly specify that a single job restore is not possible.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

generally we will modifiy the .isx file and reimport.

This is one shortcut way to import one job
saratha14
Participant

Workaround - Clarification

Post by saratha14 »

Hi Everyone,
I am sorry to reopen this topic after almost 4 years. Today I have faced the similar issue and this is what am trying to do now.

a. I have logged into information sever manage console
b. When I try to import the whole project ISX back up it automatically lists all the objects (jobs, containers so on..) on the right side.
c. I am choosing the single job which I want to import.

Please let me know if this is the correct approach. :)
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Workaround - Clarification

Post by rkashyap »

saratha14 wrote:c. I am choosing the single job which I want to import
I don't think that you will be able to import a single job, most probably you will end up importing all the elements in the isx. You do have the option of not selecting "Replace existing objects" checkboxwhile importing it in IIS Manager.
See this threadalso.
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

It will a great help to have functionality to restore selected elements from an isx backup.
If any of you are interested, then please "Submit a product request for enhancement (RFE)" on Information Server support page. Once there are sufficient no of requests, IBM may implement this feature. :wink: