Have I stepped on the forum etiquette toes?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Have I stepped on the forum etiquette toes?

Post by FranklinE »

I'm stuck. I don't get to make the decision to upgrade to 8x. I even have professional sympathy for the reasons to not upgrade. The problem is that I'm further stuck trying to make 7x work with environment changes (Unix, particularly SSHv2) that IBM has no intention supporting in 7x.

Am I wasting my time posting for help? I'm neither whining nor sarcastic. I recognize that I may be seen as being too cheap to upgrade.

Of course, I may also be asking questions that don't have answers. I'd like to be sure which it is. :oops:
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

It is unlikely you are getting ostracized - you haven't even made the needle move on the DSXchange "Annoy-O-Meter" scale. More probably you are asking questions where people don't have good answers.

For the most part, the experts that answer most of the questions are working with people that are on maintenance and tend to stay within IBM guidelines. If you are trying to move out beyond that into unsupported areas, you are most probably pioneering into uncharted territory.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Thanks, Andy. I wasn't worried about being ostracized. I've been in cyberspace long enough to assume that silence just means silence (even when biting my fingernails hoping for a response).

I am new to "blithely going where no geek has gone before". Be well. :)
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

ditto to Andy...keep asking away. Even sites who are willing to move up to new releases often have old ones still "online"..... A "4.x" question might get some raised eyebrows, but even there, we'll probably take a stab at it....

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yep, some of us date back to version 1.0 (and further!) - some of the knowledge is still there in the ol' grey cells!

Now to your question. Some advances do get backdated into earlier releases - for example version 7.5.3 contains some goodies first released in version 8. So don't be backwards about asking IBM for a patch - if there's a reasonable case for doing it and the underlying architecture doesn't need too much finagling they might just do it. And I think there probably is a case for SSH and SFTP to be available - for whatever reasons there's still a lot of 7.5 sites out there.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

ray.wurlod wrote:Yep, some of us date back to version 1.0 (and further!) - some of the knowledge is still there in the ol' grey cells!

Now to your question. Some advances do get backdated into earlier releases - for example version 7.5.3 contains some goodies first released in version 8. So don't be backwards about asking IBM for a patch...
My environments manager already asked, he opened a ticket with IBM asking if it was possible and they said not in this version (from context, meaning 7x). I will ask him about our 7x installation, which currently is 7.5.2, and whether more recent sub-versions might help.