strange plugin error

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsguyok
Premium Member
Premium Member

strange plugin error

Post by dsguyok »

I opened a local container in a parallel job and some of the stages had changed from ODBC or XMLout stages to "plugin" stages, now appearing as electrical outlets, if you can picture that.

These stages appear to be the same as before when I open them. But I can't copy them now because this error appears:

"The current selection cannot be cut/copied because it includes a plugin stage (ODBC_PRC) with not DS_STAGETYPES entry."

How did this change and what can be done to change it back so that I can copy these stages?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That 'electrical plug' icon is the generic one it falls back on when it can't find the proper one to display. We've seen it when there are memory issues on the client - does this happen to other people as well or just you? If it's just you, sometimes getting out of everything and rebooting your PC clears things up.

Assuming it's not just you, have you checked in the Repository Browser to see if the stages that they used to be are still listed there? I'd also be curious if all occurances of the stage have gone all pluggy or is it just in this job or local container?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dsguyok
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsguyok »

I exported the job, deleted it from the repository and imported it back but the same funny powerplug is still there.

In the XML source of the export the offending stages do have valid stage types.

No, it's not all XMLoutput stages that changed like this - most remain unaffected, in the same job. Also I did a reboot of both my local PC and the DS server but this didn't fix it. Also my colleague sees the same weirdness when he opens the job.

I guess it must be related to the general bad form of our DS installation

viewtopic.php?p=371594#371594
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

It happened to us when the number of jobs in the project reached a very large number. Deleting unused jobs from the project resolved the issue for us. Let me know if it works out for you.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: strange plugin error

Post by ray.wurlod »

dsguyok wrote:"The current selection cannot be cut/copied because it includes a plugin stage (ODBC_PRC) with not DS_STAGETYPES entry."
This message should be of substantial concern - it suggests that you don't have read access to DS_STAGETYPES or that someone has been removing items from there, which is naughty.
Can you execute the following command in two different projects? You can use the Administrator client Command window.

Code: Select all

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM DS_STAGETYPES;
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsguyok
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsguyok »

Thanks. Number of records per project:

Proj1 119

Proj2 135

Proj3 115

Proj4 115

Projects are ordered from newest to oldest. We are using Proj2. Our key plugin stages are related to XML and ODBC
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

One option is to unregister and re-register the plugin.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Looks like you have a few extra stage types registered in Proj2. Can you please verify whether the indexing on DS_STAGETYPES is intact?

LIST.INDEX DS_STAGETYPES ALL
If any of the indices shows "build required" then rebuild the indexes at some convenient time when you have exclusive acces to the project

DS.REINDEX DS_STAGETYPES
Finally, please report whether the stage types mentioned in the error message are present in the table:

SELECT DSRID,  CATEGORY FROM DS_STAGETYPES WHERE DSRID NOT LIKE '%\\%' ORDER BY 2,1;
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

To the OP (dsguyok): Did you resolve this problem? If so, could you please post what steps you have taken? I am encountering the same exact problem.

All our mart jobs are in a couple of projects and warehouse jobs are in a couple of projects. When I execute the following command for each of the projects:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM DS_STAGETYPES;
I get:

DW projects: 135 [We actively use these projects]
DM project 1: 131 [We very rarely use this]
DM project 2: 127 [Project with this icon (plug point)]
Please suggest...
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

These counts are close. Have you created any custom stages?