DataStage/Workbench Table and Column Metadata Attributes

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dougcl
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage/Workbench Table and Column Metadata Attributes

Post by dougcl »

Hi folks, looks like Metadata Workbench has a few predefined attributes for tables and their columns from DataStage.

For example, columns have the following default attributes in Workbench:
Column Definition Name
Description
Business Term
Data Steward
Type
Imported from Data Item
Defines DataStage Column
Are user defined attributes possible in addition to these?

Thanks,
Doug
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

No...but I've seen scenarios where a Business Term is associated with a particular table (sometimes in a category that is established for such types of Terms) and then that Term has custom attributes.

...another way would be to have an Extension Mapping with custom attributes and map that Extension Mapping to a particular table...

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
dougcl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dougcl »

eostic wrote:No...but I've seen scenarios where a Business Term is associated with a particular table (sometimes in a category that is established for such types of Terms) and then that Term has custom attributes.

...another way would be to have an Extension Mapping with custom attributes and map that Extension Mapping to a particular table...

Ernie
Hi ernie, thanks again. I haven't seen much on building extension mappings. Is there a document somewhere? Is that also something done with FastTrack? I have yet to pull up that tool. I'm not sure we have it.

Regarding custom attributes, once a table is shared, there is a "Database Table User Defined Information" category. Are you familiar with it? Can it be populated somehow?

Thanks,
Doug
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

The Extension Mappings came along in release 8.1.1, about a year ago, and are in the regular documentation.....we can discuss them further here, and I also have a few entries on them in my blog (link below).

The documentation is also easily accessible on the web at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... /index.jsp ...just search for "Extension Mappings" and all the sub-topics will appear.

You can most certainly create Extension Mappings via FastTrack by exporting the FastTrack Mapping and then importing it directly into Workbench.

Shared Tables, once created, can be enhanced in a lot of ways....you can edit a short and long description, qualify the table with an image, define a subject matter expert (Data Steward), add extra "Notes", assign business terms, etc...

Also, I just added a blog entry on "What are Shared Tables" that you may find interesting.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
dougcl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dougcl »

Ernie, again thanks for your help.
Doug