IBM Datastage 8.1 client installation

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rahulpatil95
Participant

IBM Datastage 8.1 client installation

Post by rahulpatil95 »

Hi,

This is my first post and might sound sound novoice. So kindly excuse me.

I have installed Information Server 8.1 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
I have Oracle 10g as metadata repository on the same server.

Now I want to know is it necessary to have Windows as client and then install client components (Administrator, Designer, Director) on it.

Is there any way I can install client components on Linux itself (the same machine where server is installed)?

And if that's not possible then is it possible to install VMWare workstation on Linux server and then install Windows and make it client.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Rahul
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Yes. You need Windows to install the clients.

Yes. It can be done in VMWare.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage clients can ONLY be installed on Windows.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rahulpatil95
Participant

Post by rahulpatil95 »

Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:Yes. You need Windows to install the clients.

Yes. It can be done in VMWare.
Thanks Sainath for your reply. Now its clear that we need Windows to install clients.

Can you please tell me how can we configure VMWare in order to make WindowsXP as client to Linux on which VMware is installed.

I understand that this is going a bit out of the discussion of the forum but some guideline can help me. You might want to post some links. I try to google it couldn't find much info. may bcoz of wrong keywords.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Basically you need two separate VMWare images - one Linux and one Windows. Make sure their virtual IP addresses are in the same virtual domain, so that one can "see" the other.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rahulpatil95
Participant

Post by rahulpatil95 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Basically you need two separate VMWare images - one Linux and one Windows. Make sure their virtual IP addresses are in the same virtual domain, so that one can "see" the other. ...
Hi ray,
thnx for ur advice..but what i meant by using vmware is that by installing image of windows on Vmware(this Vmware is installed on linux) how can i make windows as client of linux..I dont think I will need Linux image..
rahulpatil95
Participant

Still found no solutoin

Post by rahulpatil95 »

Hi guys,

I am just continuing with this thread. Just to give a brief overview of current scenario I have Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Server on which I have installed IBM Information Server 8.1 and I have VMWare Workstation installed on RHEL and have installed Windows 2003 Server (GuestOS) in VMWare. So in this case (I think) RHEL is server and Windows 2003 client. I have also installed Datastage Client on Windows 2003.

Now when I open http://localhost.localdomain:9080 on RHEL I can log in webconsole. And when I open same link in Windows 2003 with ipaddress of RHEL http://192.XXX.X.XX:9080 it also works. Which indicates that Windows 2003 can communicate with the Information Server installed on RHEL with ipaddress 191.XXX.X.XX

But the problem is when I start the IBM Information Server Manager in Windows 2003 and try to add a domain with the same http://192.XXX.X.XX and TEST it it says "Connection test failed"...I have also tried to replace IPaddress of RHEL and tried http://localhost.localdomain but even that does not work.

Can someone please help me with this.

Regards
kishore2456
Participant

Post by kishore2456 »

Rahul what is the exact error message you are getting? "Connection test failed"?

Were you able to ping windows machine from linux machine and vice versa?
FD
rahulpatil95
Participant

Post by rahulpatil95 »

kishore2456 wrote:Rahul what is the exact error message you are getting? "Connection test failed"?

Were you able to ping windows machine from linux machine and vice versa?
Error msg is "Connection test failed"...
I tried pinging both ways as u mentioned I thinks it works fine...

What do you think the problem is??I am able to enter into web console on Windows 2003 client...Then how is it that I cannot create a domain? Cant understand...

Can you guide me??