How to parse string input into rows by delimiter

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

harborboy76
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to parse string input into rows by delimiter

Post by harborboy76 »

I have an input string chacters in the following format :

ABCDEF
ABCDEFGHIJ
ABCDEFGHIJKL

And I have a lookup table that stores rules on how to parse out the string character like (blank space is my delimiter) :

XX XXXX XXXX XX

I would like my output to be something like (based on the rule found above) :

AB CDEF
AB CDEF GHIJ
AB CDEF GHIJ KL

Eventually, I would like to have two outputs. One output will store the whole string in the new format as above (for each row).
The second output will insert each parsed out string value into another table along with the order like :

AB , 1
CDEF, 2
GHIJ , 3
KL , 4

What kind of stage variables will allow me to accomplish the above transformations ? I know this must be a piece of cake for all DS experts
here! :)

Thanks!
N.K.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you're prepared to use a BASIC Transformer stage this is a very easy task - convert each X into a sharp sign (#) and use that as the mask in a Fmt() function.

There's probably a solution using the parallel Transformer stage. What have you attempted thus far?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
harborboy76
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by harborboy76 »

I have looked into using field function with no luck so far. But I am quite new to DataStage,
so it's quite possible that I may be doing something wrong :)

I am also trying to see if there is a locate function (similar to LOCATE function in DB2) to find the
delimiter position in a string to start but haven't come across anything that sounds like it yet.

Is there a list of stage variable functions in Transformation Stage anywhere that I can do some studies on ?

Thanks!
N.K.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There is a Locate() but probably not what you are looking for, sounds more like Index() is what you're after. Why not look into the Fmt() function that Ray mentioned?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The list of functions is Appendix B in Parallel Job Developer's Guide

Index() finds an occurrence of a substring in a string and Len() gives the number of characters in a string. Those will get you started.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
harborboy76
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by harborboy76 »

Thank you guys. For the time being, I found a workaround and would like to share with everyone (not that it's a common problem!).

I ended up using stage variable FIELD function and save the length of each input in stage variable as follow :

StageVariable1 = Len(Field(Input.config," ",1,1))
StageVariable2 = Len(Field(Input.config," ",2,1))
StageVariable3 = Len(Field(Input.config," ",3,1))
StageVariable4 = Len(Field(Input.config," ",4,1))

Then for each row coming in, I would do a substring and paste each part back together like :

Input.data [1, StageVariable1] : " " : Input.data [StageVariable1 + 1, StageVariable2] : " " : Input.data [StageVariable1 + StageVariable2 + 1, StageVaiable3] : " " : Input.data [StageVariable1 + StageVariable2 + StageVariable3 + 1, StageVariable4]

It is kind of cumbersome, but it works ! :D

If anyone has any other alternatives, please do not hesitate to share!
N.K.