How we can manage the &ph& folder in UNIX system

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jayeeta_aec
Participant

How we can manage the &ph& folder in UNIX system

Post by jayeeta_aec »

Hi,

Can anybody please give me an overview on &ph& folder in the project directory? How can I manage its size as it is supposed to be growing per job run?

Thanks in advance.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The contents of the &PH& subdirectory can be managed by creating an external process that deletes files. You can use cron to schedule a daily run of a command such as "find {path_to_&PH&} -mtime +1 -exec rm {} \;" to remove all files not modified (or created) in the past day.
jayeeta_aec
Participant

Post by jayeeta_aec »

ArndW wrote:The contents of the &PH& subdirectory can be managed by creating an external process that deletes files. You can use cron to schedule a daily run of a command such as "find {path_to_&am ...
Thanks mate!!
But could please take up littile burden for me? Please post the command only that you have mentioned.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You could always take up little burden yourself, it's a good learning opportunity. Plenty of references for UNIX commands out there, including how to use 'find' for files of a certain age and then feed the results to other commands (like 'rm') via the '-exec' option.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dganeshm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dganeshm »

chulett wrote:You could always take up little burden yourself, it's a good learning opportunity. Plenty of references for UNIX commands out there, including how to use 'find' for files of a certain age and then feed the results to other commands (like 'rm') via the '-exec' option.
what would be the disadvantage of a growing &PH& directory?
Regards,
Ganesh
Abhijeet1980
Participant

Post by Abhijeet1980 »

Slow performance.

Job monitor (via Director).
Job log view (via Director).
Job compilation (via Designer).
Job execution (Via Designer or Director).

Many regards,
Abhijit Gaikwad
Kind regards
Abhijit Gaikwad
Abhijeet1980
Participant

Post by Abhijeet1980 »

UNIX.

Try using a command that deletes all files older than certain number of days. You decide that number and google it.

Rest can be done using some good book on UNIX.

Many regards,
Abhijit Gaikwad
Kind regards
Abhijit Gaikwad
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

jayeeta_aec wrote:But could please take up littile burden for me? Please post the command only that you have mentioned.
Premium membership is one of the ways that DSXchange's hosting and bandwidth costs are defrayed. It's not expensive, at less than 30c (Rs12) per day, and well worth having.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.