"ustring[max=50]" to result type "string[max=

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

deepa_shenoy
Participant

"ustring[max=50]" to result type "string[max=

Post by deepa_shenoy »

Hi,

I am getting the following error:

ODBC_PR_CUSTOMER: When checking operator: When binding output interface field "PARTY_NAME" to field "PARTY_NAME": Implicit conversion from source type "ustring[max=50]" to result type "string[max=255]": Converting ustring to string using codepage UTF-8.

The source and target columns are VARCHAR but of different lengths.

I dont understand why it is saying USTRING to string.

How to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Deepa
nani0907
Participant

Post by nani0907 »

hello,

use the data type as Nvarchar.
thanks n regards
nani
AmeyJoshi14
Participant

Re: "ustring[max=50]" to result type "string[

Post by AmeyJoshi14 »

deepa_shenoy wrote:Hi,

I am getting the following error:

ODBC_PR_CUSTOMER: When checking operator: When binding output interface field "PARTY_NAME" to field "PARTY_NAME": Implicit conversion from source type "ustring[max=50]" to result type "string[max=255]": Converting ustring to string using codepage UTF-8.

The source and target columns are VARCHAR but of different lengths.

I dont understand why it is saying USTRING to string.

How to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Deepa
Hi,

I guess ... not sure :? ... in source metadata you are using "PARTY_NAME" column as Unicode --Varchar2(50). :?

Just remove the unicode and run the job ...

Thanks!!
http://findingjobsindatastage.blogspot.com/
Theory is when you know all and nothing works. Practice is when all works and nobody knows why. In this case we have put together theory and practice: nothing works. and nobody knows why! (Albert Einstein)
deepa_shenoy
Participant

Post by deepa_shenoy »

My Database is Oracle. The column is declared as VARCHAR2(50). But while importing metadata I have not declared as Unicode.
nani0907
Participant

Post by nani0907 »

have you tried by declaring the data type as NVarchar.i guess this error is due to special characters in that particular column value.
thanks n regards
nani
deepa_shenoy
Participant

Post by deepa_shenoy »

In job 1, I am loading Table 1 to Table 2. In Table 2 all columns have been declared VARCHAR and all data is loaded successfully.

In job 2, I am loading Table 3 from the same Table 2. Both have all columns declared as VARCHAR. In this job 2 its throwing this error of implicit conversion from ustring to string.

If there were Unicode or special characters, it should have thrown the same warning for Job 1 too right?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Take a slow, systematic walkthrough of the job. Look closely at all the Columns grids in all the stages. Look for instances of Unicode.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.