Version Control for dsx

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

laiko
Premium Member
Premium Member

Version Control for dsx

Post by laiko »

We are planning to use versioning tool for our project. We primarily use DataStage. The problems we are facing are:
- we are not aware of any migration tool that can handle DSX files. The files have to be manually deployed/compiled to Production environment.
- if a new release has 50 jobs, we have to one-by-one create the DSX files and check them in to our versioning tool.
Anybody who is using a versioning tool for their DataStage project, can you let me know how these things are handled and what tool you are using (for example, PVCS, CVS, Clear Case, or VSS)??
thank you.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So, you're not aware of the tool named Version Control that ships with the product in your version? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Version Control does not include a check-out/check-in capability.

Its replacement (IBM Information Server Manager) will do so in a near future release, according to the road map presentations at last year's IOD conference.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
laiko
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by laiko »

Hi Craig, we know about the version control. However, it does not serve the same purpose as the one which has check-in/check-out/merge/branch/lock features. I think DS version control is mainly to keep history.
Anyone using version control system, I just would like to know how they manage the creation of individual dsx files/deployment esp when it involves say 20 dsx files, etc.. thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't see the point of any sort of external check-in/check-out capability nor the merge/branch functionality as IMHO they are bascially worthless in this GUI environment.

For the individual dsx files question, most people who do anything like that seem to have scripted the process - Kim Duke, for example, has mentioned creating that functionality so it is as automated as possible. There's also the concept of a 'dsx cutter' that's been posted here in perl, from what I recall, that will take a single export with multiple objects and 'cut' it into individual dsx files per object. So there's several options, it seems, again I just don't see the point unless you are mandated to use one just to keep the Powers That Be happy. For me, anything I've needed from a version tracking / promotion processing tool has been satisfied by VC.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dsxuserrio
Participant

Post by dsxuserrio »

Laiko

Until IBM comes up with a feature to integrate check in/check out with IDE,you may have to live with exporting DSX files and version them.

You can export several datastage jobs ( all jobs in an iteration) into a single dsx. That way release and deployment may be easier.

We use subversion.

Thanks
dsxuserrio

Kannan.N
Bangalore,INDIA
laiko
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by laiko »

Hi dsxuserrio, we are also planning to use subversion. It feels great to know we're in the same boat. I would appreciate if you can let me know how you are doing things in subversion.
- Do you have individual dsx files for each job, sequence, routine?
- What are the objects you version (job, sequence, routine, anything else)?
- How do you deploy them? Manually? As in one authorized account has access to production who pulls the file from subversion repository and compile them in production?
- How did you initially checked-in all the files into the subversion? Did you have to create all (hundreds or thousands) of dsx files?

Excuse me for asking a lot.. but will greatly appreciate your guidance.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The batch file Craig is referring to works off a list. You give it a list of jobs and it will export a job, import to a different project on a different server and compile the job on the new server.

It does a couple more things like strip the dependent objects like shared containers. It also logs everything in a SQL Server database so you can report on it.
Mamu Kim
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I forgot it also changes job to not READONLY so the compile works before it compiles it. Afterwards it makes it READONLY again.
Mamu Kim