issue in FTP stage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

issue in FTP stage

Post by karthi_gana »

I created a job to move the text file to mainframe system.

i used FTP stage to do this. When i run the job i am getting the below error message.

#1)
ALRT_F02_FTP_OUTPUT..FTP_Plug_in_2: 550 CWD cmd failed : EDC5129I No such file or directory. (errno2=0x05190050)

ALRT_F02_FTP_OUTPUT..FTP_Plug_in_2: Error while trying to open connection for sending data to the FTP server, FTP command CWD failed

i did some modifications in the job then i got the below error message.

put single quote before the '#inputfilename#' then i got the below error message.

#2)
ALRT_F02_FTP_OUTPUT..FTP_Plug_in_2: 550 STOR fails: MSDOADF.TXT. User not authorized.

ALRT_F02_FTP_OUTPUT..FTP_Plug_in_2: Error while trying to open connection for sending data to the FTP server, FTP command STOR failed

But if i execute it from DOS prompt(manually), it is running fine. How?

I am using the same username & password in DataStage.

is this the limitation of DataStage ? what is the course of action need to be done to do this? Strictly i don't want to use any Batches.

If we need to use batches then what is the purpose of FTP stage. So please don't ask me to write any .BAT file to do this.
Karthik
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You really should write a... oh, never mind.

What does your job design look like? Do you need to ftp to the 'home directory' of the ftp user or do you need to 'cd' somewhere first and then do the put? Can you capture a manual session and copy/paste it here so we can see all of the steps you go through for this?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

chulett wrote:You really should write a... oh, never mind.

What does your job design look like? Do you need to ftp to the 'home directory' of the ftp user or do you need to 'cd' somewhere first and then do the put? Can you capture a manual session and copy/paste it here so we can see all of the steps you go through for this?
Hi,

I found the issue. Thanks !
Karthik
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Is it a secret? :?

Two things you should really do now. Post the resolution so others coming here with the same problem will know what fixed it for you and mark the post as Resolved using the big button at the top of the page.
-craig

karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

chulett wrote:Is it a secret? :?

Two things you should really do now. Post the resolution so others coming here with the same problem will know what fixed it for you and mark the post as Resolved using the big button at the top of the page.
Hey...:) Yes ! it is very secret :) so i will tell only to you....ok...:)

I used single quote before and after the Remote file name.

i.e click Input tab --> Properties --> RemoteFileName --> entered the file name with single quote.

'<filename>'.

It ran successfully....But :(...i need to implement the below command in FTP stage....

quote site REC=FB LR=1508 CYL PRI=940 SEC=94
Karthik
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

How ?

is it possible?
Karthik
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

what is the usage of

1)Telnet before command
2)Telnet After command
3)Transaction before command
4)Transaction after command
Karthik
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Pretty much for what they're named... and seems to me like you'd use the 'Transaction Before' command to perform your 'quote site etc' command, though I've never used it.
-craig

karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

chulett wrote:Pretty much for what they're named... and seems to me like you'd use the 'Transaction Before' command to perform your 'quote site etc' command, though I've never used it. ...
i tried it... but it is throwing the error message.

ALRT_C02_FTP_OUTPUT..FTP_Plug_in_2: Error while trying to open connection for sending data to the FTP server, unable to execute 'Transaction Begin command'
Last edited by karthi_gana on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karthik
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

karthi_gana wrote:
chulett wrote:Pretty much for what they're named... and seems to me like you'd use the 'Transaction Before' command to perform your 'quote site etc' command, though I've never used it. ...
i tried it... but it is throwing the error message.
how will you use 'quote site' from FTP stage ?
Karthik
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As I said, never used them (or needed to do any such mainframe thing) so took a guess as to what might work. Time to involve your official support provider it seems, that or wait for someone who's done that kind of thing before to wander along.
-craig

karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

chulett wrote:As I said, never used them (or needed to do any such mainframe thing) so took a guess as to what might work. Time to involve your official support provider it seems, that or wait for someone who's done that kind of thing before to wander along.
since i am new to Datstage stage,i don't know the other options. can u tell me what else work out for my requirement?
Karthik
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Forget the stage and just use a script with command line ftp. You can run it after job or as part of a Sequence job.
-craig

vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

karthi_gana wrote: how will you use 'quote site' from FTP stage ?
karthi_gana,

You cannot use "quote site" command from FTP stage as it doesn't support FTP commands. I had exactly the same issue (version DS 7.5.1 Server) as I had to issue

Code: Select all

quote site lrecl...
command as I wanted to increase my Logical record length on the Mainframe side. I opened up a ticket with IBM and after much deliberation on their end (they took 2 weeks to tell me this...) they told me that it is indeed a drawback of the FTP stage that it cannot execute the FTP commands after opening the session and they said that it is being discussed to include the functionality in future releases. This happened at around Aug-Sep 2008. As 8.x version was already released, I doubt that the functionality is provided in that release!

My workaround was...gulp :( ...to write a Batch script (.bat) to execute the FTP commands.
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

vivekgadwal wrote:
karthi_gana wrote: how will you use 'quote site' from FTP stage ?
karthi_gana,

You cannot use "quote site" command from FTP stage as it doesn't support FTP commands. I had exactly the same issue (version DS 7.5.1 Server) as I had to issue

Code: Select all

quote site lrecl...
command as I wanted to increase my Logical record length on the Mainframe side. I opened up a ticket with IBM and after much deliberation on their end (they took 2 weeks to tell me this...) they told me that it is indeed a drawback of the FTP stage that it cannot execute the FTP commands after opening the session and they said that it is being discussed to include the functionality in future releases. This happened at around Aug-Sep 2008. As 8.x version was already released, I doubt that the functionality is provided in that release!

My workaround was...gulp :( ...to write a Batch script (.bat) to execute the FTP commands.
Thanks vivek for sharing your experience...

can you send me the link which IBM explained elaborately about this? I just want to share it with my management.
Karthik