DB2 on z/OS - Most Efficient Database Stage to Use

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

skilletrx2
Participant

DB2 on z/OS - Most Efficient Database Stage to Use

Post by skilletrx2 »

Hi gurus!

I was wondering if you all would provide a recommendation on the most efficient way to connect to DB2 on z/OS? I see some native options within the database palette but they seem to just be for DB2 UDB. Can these be used for DB2 on z/OS as well? Any thoughts on the most efficient way would be appreciated. Any connection setups would be appreciated (especially if anyone is using DB2 Connect)

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by skilletrx2 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skilletrx2
Participant

Post by skilletrx2 »

bump, anyone?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You want service on the weekend sign up with your support provider for priority service, and learn just how much "urgent" costs. This is an all-volunteer site whose members post when they can, and usually only if they have something to contribute. Things like your "bump" are offensive.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
skilletrx2
Participant

Post by skilletrx2 »

ray.wurlod wrote:You want service on the weekend sign up with your support provider for priority service, and learn just how much "urgent" costs. This is an all-volunteer site whose members post when they can, and usually only if they have something to contribute. Things like your "bump" are offensive.
Sorry about that, carried the 'bump' concept over from the car forums, i'll make sure not to do that here. Anyways, any info on folks connecting to DB2 on z/OS would be greatly appreciated - any DB2 Connect folks?
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

skilletrx2 wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote:You want service on the weekend sign up with your support provider for priority service, and learn just how much "urgent" costs. This is an all-volunteer site whose members post when they can, and usually only if they have something to contribute. Things like your "bump" are offensive.
Sorry about that, carried the 'bump' concept over from the car forums, i'll make sure not to do that here. Anyways, any info on folks connecting to DB2 on z/OS would be greatly appreciated - any DB2 Connect folks?
* DB2 Enterprise Stage does not work for Z/OS, I don't think DB2 UDB Load does either.

* DB2 UDB/API works, but it is too slow and it is a CPU hog.

* ODBC Enterprise stage is faster than DB2 UDB/API stage by about 2.75 times. Probably the best stage for DB2 Z/OS pre-connector stages.

* ODBC Connector stage is faster than DB2 UDB/API stage by about 3 times. Slightly faster than ODBC Enterprise Stage.

* DB2 Connector stage is 4 times faster than DB2 UDB/API stage. It is the best performer.

Note: DB2 Connector also provides BULK LOAD which is also provided via the DB2Z stage. I have tested the two. However, I would expect the DB2 Connector Stage to outperform the DB2Z stage.

In summary, your best choices:
#1) DB2 Connector
#2) ODBC Connector
#3) ODBC Enterprise

Thanks.
skilletrx2
Participant

Post by skilletrx2 »

Ultramundane wrote:
skilletrx2 wrote:
* DB2 Enterprise Stage does not work for Z/OS, I don't think DB2 UDB Load does either.

* DB2 UDB/API works, but it is too slow and it is a CPU hog.

* ODBC Enterprise stage is faster than DB2 UDB/API stage by about 2.75 times. Probably the best stage for DB2 Z/OS pre-connector stages.

* ODBC Connector stage is faster than DB2 UDB/API stage by about 3 times. Slightly faster than ODBC Enterprise Stage.

* DB2 Connector stage is 4 times faster than DB2 UDB/API stage. It is the best performer.

Note: DB2 Connector also provides BULK LOAD which is also provided via the DB2Z stage. I have tested the two. However, I would expect the DB2 Connector Stage to outperform the DB2Z stage.

In summary, your best choices:
#1) DB2 Connector
#2) ODBC Connector
#3) ODBC Enterprise

Thanks.
Thanks for your help is DB2 Connector only available on certain editions of DataStage?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Probably introduced in 8.1.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

chulett wrote:Probably introduced in 8.1. ...
Yes, introduced in 8.1 is correct. It is not included with 8.1.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg24022735

Thanks.
andrewn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by andrewn »

Also, you can't use the DB2 API stage as a 'sparse' lookup and it can't have a reject link.

The ODBC Enterprise stage doesn't have those limitations :D