Setting user priorities

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sjordery
Premium Member
Premium Member

Setting user priorities

Post by sjordery »

Hi folks,

Is it possible to set up a Linux installation to have specific priorities for individual users. For example, all jobs submitted by dsadm will have higher priority by default than those submitted by fbloggs?

I know about nice/renice, but those rely on entering manual commands (and on knowing PIDs) - what I was after was something a bit more automated..

Many thanks,
S
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What you can do depends upon your version of UNIX. On some LINUX systems you can use the method described at nice & renice. I would think that for other UNIX implementations one could find appropriate scripts that would do this, at worst a simple script running with admin rights could do this as well.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Within TCL the CHAP (CHAnge Priority) command can be used to lower priority. Usage is CHAP DOWN.

Or you could put a renice command into dsenv controlled by a test on user ID. Process ID and user ID are available from shell veriables $$ and $USER respectively.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sjordery
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjordery »

Thanks both for the pointers.

Regards,
S