Environment variables: Where else, besides in job parameter?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ayeep
Participant

Environment variables: Where else, besides in job parameter?

Post by ayeep »

Hi all,

Recently I've updated the environment variables in .profile (user profile file) in Unix server as I believe all jobs point directly to that file (as the jobs did not create new or utilize any additional environment variables). However whenever a job is run, it doesn't reflect the latest environment variable settings.

My question is where to locate the environment variables since the jobs are still referring to the old values.
mahadev.v
Participant

Post by mahadev.v »

Environment variable are not stored in .profile of the user. You can change the environment variable values from the administrator.
"given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow" - Eric S. Raymond
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Which user's .profile did you update?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ayeep
Participant

Post by ayeep »

ray.wurlod wrote:Which user's .profile did you update? ...
I've updated the following user profile: /export/home/dstage/.profile
The latest environment variables can be listed out in Unix using 'env' command, but I could not locate them in DataStage.

Just wondering, do I need to stop and restart the DataStage server whenever I edit the .profile for the changes to take place?

mahadev.v wrote:Environment variable are not stored in .profile of the user. You can change the environment variable values from the administrator.
The list of environment variables as displayed in log file (eg: ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_BASE, PATH, etc..) does not shown in the Administrator.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, because DataStage processes do not pick up the requesting user's .profile, so re-starting the machine won't do you any good at all.

You could put them in the global profile (/etc/profile) but the preferred method is to put them into the project via the Administrator client. These are stored in a text file called DSParams in the project directory on the server.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ayeep
Participant

Post by ayeep »

ray.wurlod wrote:No, because DataStage processes do not pick up the requesting user's .profile, so re-starting the machine won't do you any good at all.

You could put them in the global profile (/etc/profile) but t ...
Thanks for the input, Ray. Probably I can relate it to the following words from DS Administrator Guide - "The DataStage Environment on UNIX: All server process, job processes, and client connection helper processes are ultimately child processes of dsrpcd and inherit its environment settings. The environment for dsrpcd is derived from the /etc/profile and dshome/dsenv scripts. (Note that client connections DO NOT pick up any per-user environment settings from their $HOME/.profile script).."

Now I'm thinking whether to put the changes in global profile "/etc/profile" or in the centralized environment variables file "dshome/dsenv scripts".