Generic job

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srinivas.g
Participant

Generic job

Post by srinivas.g »

Hi All,

I am trying to create a generic job which will load from any table regardless underlying metadata. What it means is,
Job should load even if there are different numbers of columns
Different number of tables and for difference where conditions

My source and target are oracle database.

I am trying both in server and parallel jobs. Mostly I wanted to do this implementation in server jobs.

Is there any work around to achieve this server jobs. Pls suggest

Prakash
mahadev.v
Participant

Post by mahadev.v »

First thing that comes to my mind in a parallel job is using RCP. Any specific reason to prefer server jobs? Is there an equivalent property to RCP in server jobs?
"given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow" - Eric S. Raymond
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There isn't. DataStage is driven by metadata, not vice versa.

Even RCP means all you're doing is EL, not ETL. If you're going to do transformation, you need to name the source column(s) explicitly.

And there are cheaper tools for doing EL than DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

Hi,

Any suggestions for EL tools "out there"? Freeware would be great, otherwise cheap. Something that would just copy data from ODBC Source A to ODBC Source B, without any transformation, that would be quick and easy to use?

We often have need to just do a "bulk load across databases" (EL), with further manipulation (ETL) after the bulk load. I was just wondering if such a tool could augment the functionality in DS?

This is somewhat related to viewtopic.php?t=126685&highlight=

Thanks,
Scott
Some people are the Michael Jordan's of Datastage. I'm more like Muggsy Bogues :-)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Most database vendors have their own. The Red Brick copy management utility is a particularly brilliant example of its kind.

I don't know, never having searched, whether there's a generic ODBC to ODBC product out there. Has anyone searched for one? DTS, maybe?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srinivas.g
Participant

Post by srinivas.g »

ray.wurlod wrote:There isn't. DataStage is driven by metadata, not vice versa.

Even RCP means all you're doing is EL, not ETL. If you're going to do transformation, you need to name the source column(s) explicitl ...
I understand the use of the RCP but could you please help me with some workaround in the parallel itself to do the transformations.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Meaning, you want to build a "generic" PX job with RCP that has no columns defined in it and still do transformations on the data? No can do.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers