Can we read a binary file in DataStage.

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ItsVikas
Participant

Can we read a binary file in DataStage.

Post by ItsVikas »

Can we read a binary file in any version of Datastage.
If someone know then please let me know
Regards
Vikas Agarwal
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome. :D

Please verify exactly what it is you mean by a 'binary file'. Sometimes people have asked this question for packed fields in an EBCDIC file, for instance, so let's make sure we're all on the same page before we go too much further. And the more details you can provide about what you need to do, the better your answers will be.

Also, suggest you do an Exact Search of the forums here for "binary" and see if anything useful comes up.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ccotton
Participant

Post by ccotton »

Either way you can still read binary files through a complex flat file stage whether packed or not. You could also use a sequential file stage and make it a fixed width file. then unpack the data yourself in a transformer if you need to. If not just convert the data to ASCII in a transformer. Easiest way in my opinion for either is through a complex flat file stage. Good luck!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you on the same project as theppaks, who posed the very same question in the QualityStage forum?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
thepakks
Participant

Post by thepakks »

Yes we are in same project.
Deepak