Can I declare and use a function within a function?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Can I declare and use a function within a function?

Post by sbass1 »

Sorry for what is likely a simple question. I searched on "function" before posting but got 4500+ hits, and the Basic doc is unclear. Couldn't find it on Google either.

So...can I declare and use utility functions within a function? What I want to do is something like:

* Declare function (this is the main function)
DEFFUN MyFunction(pInputValue, pInputPattern) Calling "DSU.MyFunction"

* Declare utility function, which is a sub-function in this file
DEFFUN MatchPattern(pInputValue, pInputPattern)

... stuff in MyFunction function

Return(Ans)

* ===== Subroutines =====

Sub1:
If Not(MatchPattern(foo,bar)) Then Return(1)
... stuff
Return(0)

Sub2:
If Not(MatchPattern(bar,foo)) Then Return(1)
... different stuff
Return(0)

* ===== Utility Functions =====

Function MatchPattern(pInputValue, pInputPattern)
... stuff
Return pInputValue Matches pInputPattern

End

This is an oversimplification of what I want to do. I know I can use subroutines - my question is whether I can declare and use additional sub-functions.

Thanks,
Scott
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This might be confusing. What do you mean by "in this file"?

If it's a purely internal routine, within the same routine, then it is accessed via a GOSUB statement and no DEFFUN declaration is required.

Otherwise, it's a separate function - has a separate entry in the Routines branch of the repository - and you need a DEFFUN declaration (with a "DSU." prefix in the CALLING clause, which you seem to have missed) to inform the compiler that the name followed by a left parenthesis is that of a function rather than that of a dimensioned array.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

Hi Ray,

Yes the utility functions would be in the same file.

I guess I'm used to more structured programming languages with variable scoping. I wanted to use the calling syntax of a function so I could use it in an IF statement, and any variables defined in the function would be out of scope when the function ended.

I can make it work using GoSub but IMO it's syntactically messier for what I want to do.

Thanks,
Scott
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Everything in the same file has global scope within that file. This can result in side effects if you do not take care using GoSub.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.