Error calling DSSetParam

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Error calling DSSetParam

Post by veera24 »

Hi all,
I'm facing an error. Kindly let me know how to handle this.
This is my error

JobContro[@Execute_Job]:Controller Problem : Error Calling DSSetParam[$OS_DBSCHEMANAME],code = -3 [ParamName does not reference a known parameter of the job]

Though i've declared all the parameters for that job, i'm getting this error. I dont think this is the problem related with the parameters alone. Kindly forgive me if i'm wrong. Pls. help to handle this and to get more knowledge on that.

Note: I've defined th parameter for the DB schema in environmental variable.

Your time would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
Veera...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You get this where? Is this a Sequence job or your own job control or ...? Also note there's no reason to "set" a parameter using an environment variable, it will inherit it automatically. That's the whole point, after all.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Code -3 can only mean what is says - that the parameter name used in the DSSetParam() call is a name that does not exist in the attached job. It may be a mis-spelling, it may be incorrectly cased, it may not exist at all (are you sure you have the right job attached?). You need to check thoroughly.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

chulett wrote:You get this where? Is this a Sequence job or your own job control or ...? Also note there's no reason to "set" a parameter using an environment variable, it will inherit it automatically. That ...
It's a sequence job Craig!!!!!!!
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Code -3 can only mean what is says - that the parameter name used in the DSSetParam() call is a name that does not exist in the attached job. It may be a mis-spelling, it may be incorrectly cased, it ...
I've checked it Ray. Everything is fine. I mean the Case and spelling. What might be the cause for it?

Your time would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Veera...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

veera24 wrote:
chulett wrote:You get this where? Is this a Sequence job or your own job control or ...? Also note there's no reason to "set" a parameter using an environment variable, it will inherit it automatically. That ...
It's a sequence job Craig!!!!!!!
Jeez, was there a special on exclamation points yesterday or something? Calm down. :?

That's not really enough detail to help. What are you doing in this Sequence job? Problems with a Job Activity stage? Does the job run correctly if you leave the parameter value for this environment variable empty in the JA when invoking it? As I noted, you use environment variables so you don't have to explicitly pass them to the job...
-craig

veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

Of course Craig.
Actually, I've removed that parameter and hard coded the value too. But still didnt get that. And when i removed the parameter and i compiled the job, I can compile it. But after compilation when i looked into Job Control the parameter name was there. I dont know how...

Kindly give me your inputs.

Thanks,
Veera...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Whenever you change parameters in a job being run from a Sequence job, you need to 'refresh' the job in the Job Activity stage so it can reflect those changes in the stage.
-craig

devidotcom
Participant

Post by devidotcom »

What happens if I change the job without removing any parameter... do I yet need to compile the job?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you haven't made any parameter changes, then there's no need to recompile the Sequence job that runs it. If that is what you are asking.
-craig

reddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by reddy »

is there any way other than refreshing the job activity? since i have hardcoded so many values

Could you plz let me know.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:idea:
Plan ahead.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jassu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jassu »

reddy wrote:is there any way other than refreshing the job activity? since i have hardcoded so many values

Could you plz let me know.
Recompile the jobs in sequence and also the sequence.
farbm01
Participant

Post by farbm01 »

Similar issue & RESOLUTION with Version 8.0.1 :P

Two parallel jobs were created and tested (ran without warnings/failures). Then it was decided to create sequence jobs to run the 2 parallel jobs. The parallel jobs were changed to run as multiple instance and recompiled. The sequence jobs were then built. When the first sequence job was tested, it failed with the Exception raised: @nscc_utcctd_xcln, Error calling DSSetParam(FileNm), code=-3 [ParamName does not reference a known parameter of the job] error.

It was discovered that if the parallel jobs were ran as multiple instance and the job names were reloaded into the job activity stage of the sequence jobs, then the sequence jobs would run successfully.