Rows per commit

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rupeshg
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rows per commit

Post by rupeshg »

Hi

Commit frequency in Job properties is related to the number of rows it processes. Meaning, if the values is 100, it will commit after 100th record is loaded successfully on the target table.

This should be true for one output link to one target. What happens if the input is one and output links are multiple? Here, one input row is split into multiple rows, may be from a transformer going into different tables. Now, how are the rows counted for commit to happen? Is it counted at source or at output? Assuming the counting is at the output, does it take output links into consideration where one input row is split into multiple rows?

I hope the explanation is understandable.

Regards
Rupesh
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Hi Rupesh,

It's been way too long since I've done anything with mainframe jobs, so I don't remember the answer to your query.

Investigate the generated COBOL. It is very readable code, so you will be able to find your answer easily.

Mike
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I can't imagine this is different in mainfraime jobs but transaction size is a link property everywhere else. That is, each output link will check the number of rows down it and commit as needed.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Mainframe jobs are quite a different animal. It actually is a job property. No link-level control :(. I'm guessing it's a global counter in a mainframe job, but don't have any generated code to verify.

Mike
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers