Invocation Id not being always set

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cfuller
Premium Member
Premium Member

Invocation Id not being always set

Post by cfuller »

I have a primary execution sequencer that is set as multi instance, but since moving to version 8 I have noticed that the invocation id is not always 'taking', i.e. I run a job and set the invocation id in the run dialog box, but it doesn't always seems to set correctly.

I haven't noticed any particular pattern to this yet, but was wondering if anyone else has noticed this behaviour? :?
Regards
Chris Fuller

"Reality is what refuses to go away when you stop believing in it"
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I haven't seen or heard of this before. The sporadic nature of the problem is strange enough but I would look into the application for a potential cause instead of assuming it was a bug in the product.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What does "doesn't always seem to set correctly" mean? It runs without an Invocation ID? Runs with a different one? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
cfuller
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cfuller »

Hi Craig
If I run from the primary job, it runs without an invocation id, whereas if I use an existing run of the job and try to change the invocation id it uses the existing one.

I though it may have to do with the number already used, i.e. I had 10 previous invocation id's, so I cleared the status file, and resubmitted the primary job again with a new invocation id, but it started running without one.

My next step is to try recompiling the job and running again, but I still cannot get a handle on where the issue may be. Any other thoughts appreciated.
:?
Regards
Chris Fuller

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So, just to clarify... when you run it from the primary job do you actually supply an Invocation ID? Type it in or pick it from the dropdown?

The only difference between starting a run from the 'primary' or one of the existing invocation ids in the Director is what the Invocation ID defaults to in the Run dialog. For the former, nothing - the latter, that particular id. Nothing about that should affect how the job runs or keep you from picking a different, existing or new Invocation ID. And 10 is a small number and not something that should cause you grief.

And yes, the 'official' way to clear those various 'Invocation ID views' from the Director is to recompile the job.
-craig

cfuller
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cfuller »

I have tried typing a new invocation id, as well as pasting one from my clipboard, we use a job number for the invocation id.

I have to also check this from the command line as this is how we normally run our process end-to-end (Control-M calls DataStage from the unix command line).

I will do some additional testing and report back later.
Regards
Chris Fuller

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

On the off chance you're not aware - from the command line you append the invocation id to the job name with a dot separator.

JobName.InvocationID
-craig

cfuller
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cfuller »

Thanks Craig...but I already knew that.
Last edited by cfuller on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Chris Fuller

dganeshm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dganeshm »

Please let us know what he resolution to this was
Regards,
Ganesh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

This was four years ago... why not start your own post and let us know what problem you are having?
-craig