non-IBM support options, per-call support fee

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

alanbcoates
Premium Member
Premium Member

non-IBM support options, per-call support fee

Post by alanbcoates »

Are there viable fee-per-call alternatives to IBM support for resolving technical issues?

If you're currently getting non-IBM support, I'd be interested in hearing how it's working for you.

We don't have, and cannot afford IBM support costs (we would have to upgrade first, and that's not an option).
Alan Coates
ERP Analyst
Atlanta, Georgia
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not to derail your topic as I'm interested in the answers, but there's no need to upgrade just to get support on your current version. Or at least no need that I'm aware of. We have support on our 7.5.x installs and they (sadly) have no intention of upgrading to 8 dot anything. Affordability is a horse of a different color, of course.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

With friends like Chulett, Ray, ArndW and the rest of the DSxchange Heavy hitters, who needs Support? I don't see how any non-IBM support option, fees per call alternative can compete with this site. Indeed, I always search here first and we have IBM Support.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I have to chuckle about "using this site before contacting support" since that is what I do as well; much of the time I find the answers to my questions here while support responds back with "we will look into this". Of course DSXChange can't be used in lieu of support since there aren't too many bug fixes possible without source code.
Last edited by ArndW on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As do I. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I find that RTFM* is a good strategy sometimes.

* = read the fine manuals (clean version)

(Though there are some annoying lapses in the version 8 manuals.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.