How to detect server is running

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jtsoong
Participant

How to detect server is running

Post by jtsoong »

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to detect the server is running properly?

We want to be able to tell if the server has crashed (it doesn't matter if a single job can't be run, only worried about the whole server).

Looking at the process list i see:
/opt/IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/apps/jre/bin/java -classpath /opt/IBM/Inform..

/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/bin/resource_tracker

are either of these helpful?

or should i just run "dsadmin -listprojects" and look for output? (presumably this won't work if the server has crashed).

Any other ideas on how to check if the DataStage server has crashed.

Cheers.

Jon
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

First question must be "which server" - the DataStage server, the Information Server or the WebSphere Application Server?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jtsoong
Participant

datastage

Post by jtsoong »

Oh,

We're just using DataStage (Not Information Services Director etc).

I'm presuming we need "dsrpcd" to be in the process list.. i also presume WAS has to be up???? I'm not sure what else...

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the "Information Server" - do you mean the meta data repository?

Cheers

Jon
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: datastage

Post by ray.wurlod »

jtsoong wrote:We're just using DataStage (Not Information Services Director etc).
Yes you are.
jtsoong wrote:I'm presuming we need "dsrpcd" to be in the process list
This is the listener for DataStage client connections. Its presence is sufficient to indicate that the DataStage server is "up". There are no other mandatory processes for DataStage server, though the deadlock daemon (dsdlockd) is often configured for auto-start.
jtsoong wrote:I'm not sure what you mean when you say the "Information Server" - do you mean the meta data repository?
Correct. The WAS has to be up to expose the services. The easy way to test each of these is to attempt to connect using the web console for each (port #9080 for Information Server, port #9060 for WAS).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
go4it
Participant

Post by go4it »

Hi Jon,

You could have a script that checks the does the following:

$ netstat -na | grep 3153*

The result would be

TCP 0.0.0.0:31531 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:31533 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:31538 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

If the above ports are LISTENING,

then you could check

$ ps -ef | grep dsrpc
SYSTEM 336 1140 0 08:24:37 con 0:00 E:\IBM\InformationServer\Server\DSEngine\bin\dsrpcd.exe

Also would be good to have a check if there are any slave connections are running with respect to the date time.

Hope the helps.

M
samunik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samunik »

Actually you need to check both WAS and Datastage seperately whether they are running or not.

Either one of them can be down.

The best way you can do this is to have a simple DS job and run it to test whether everything is up and runnig.

(WAS would be checked because you get authenticated through WAS and Datastage job itself would test the Datastage).

Thanks.