Updating fact data / modify aggregate

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

eldonp
Participant

Updating fact data / modify aggregate

Post by eldonp »

When loading fact tables in Redbrick, there was a modify aggregate mode that would update existing fact table measures if the dimension keys existed, or inserted new records if they did not. In addition, because loads were done from flat files, there was a way to skip records (in the event of a crash on a certain record). How would I implement this in DataStage - we have Informix Online databases, so I would use an ODBC stage, or a DRS stage, or an Informix CLI stage.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... or go back to Red Brick. :D

No other database (as far as I am aware) supports automatic maintenance of aggregates from bulk loader. For IDS you can use any of the stage types you mentioned - the Informix CLI stage is likely to be the most efficient. However you will need to design all the logic into the DataStage job itself; lookup against (a copy of the target) aggregate tables to determine existence, and react accordingly.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.