bulk select/insert

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

laiko
Premium Member
Premium Member

bulk select/insert

Post by laiko »

Hi,

Is there such thing as bulk select and insert in DataStage? I have something like:

Code: Select all

SELECT from remote DB  --> transformer  --> INSERT to DW
I noticed that the records are one by one going through the transformer, then to INSERT stage. I find this very slow. Is it possible to bulk colelct them before inserting? There's no stage variables also in my transformer, just TRUNC functions.

Thanks in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not as directly as you would like. Depending on the actual database some degree of prefetch buffering and in-process row buffering may be possible. Also depending on the actual database you may be able to invoke its export facility to bulk unload the data as the Filter command of a Sequential File stage, or in a pre-job script. These are just some ideas - there are doubtless other ways as well.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So, what database are we talking about here? What stages are you currently using? Array Size? Transaction Size?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
yserrano
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: bulk select/insert

Post by yserrano »

laiko wrote:Hi,

Is there such thing as bulk select and insert in DataStage? I have something like:

SELECT from remote DB  --> transformer  --> INSERT to DW
I noticed that the records are one by one going through the transformer, then to INSERT stage. I find this very slow. Is it possible to bulk colelct them before inserting? There's no stage variables also in my transformer, just TRUNC functions.

Thanks in advance.
You could trick it like this:

SELECT from remote DB  --> Sequential stage -->transformer  --> INSERT to DW